Rod Petrie insists SFA were inspired, not embarrassed by Uefa’s Rangers rap

Rod Petrie has shot down claims that Uefa have embarrassed the SFA by hammering Rangers for sectarian chants.

He claims the action from Europe’s governing body has INSPIRED our football authorities to be tougher in tackling the scourge in our game.

Uefa have lashed Gers twice after bigoted songs were belted out at Europa League qualifiers against St Joseph’s and Legia Warsaw.

That sparked claims SFA chiefs have been slow to act.

But new president Petrie fired back: “Why would we be embarrassed? It was a competition which was run by Uefa. As the competition organiser Uefa have dealt with bad behaviour and unacceptable conduct, within the competition THEY run.

“Equally, we look to the SPFL to take a similar approach and where there is unacceptable behaviour and things which are patently wrong to the vast majority of people, we expect the SPFL to be working to eradicate that.

“We are very happy to do our part in working along with them. This has to be a collaborative approach where we work together to try to make sure the environment is as safe and as positive as it can be.

“We welcome the statements which came out of Rangers, and welcome the statements which came forward from responsible fans’ groups.”

Rangers were ordered to close a section of Ibrox for last month’s home play-off leg against Legia.

They will be forced to do so again for the opening group game against Feyenoord on September 19 following another guilty charge of ‘racist behaviour’ by their fans in Warsaw.

Gers chiefs also acted by refusing to take a ticket allocation for the match with Young Boys in Switzerland on October 3.

Petrie added: “I think the events that took place, and the punishments that have been imposed, has had an impact.

“Hopefully that is now helping to ensure a sea-change within attitudes of people coming to games. It’s an opportunity for Scottish football to come together to learn the lessons of the past.”

Ex-Hibs chairman Petrie, who replaced Alan McRae in June, will have at least two years at the helm.

He added: “I want to see things get better, I want to see things CHANGE.

“It happens to be the thing that is almost the highest priority on my watch — so I’m not going to run away from it.”

Meanwhile, Alloa chief and SFA vice-president Mike Mulraney, above, said: “I don’t recognise such a thing as a ‘90-minute bigot’. I only recognise someone who is bigoted, who exports that feeling for 90 minutes.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4694997/rod-petrie-sfa-uefa-rangers-rap/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1567916522

As night follows day ... the cowards at the SFA follow any mumblings of UEFA. As we had it in 2007. Job accomplished, F.A.R.E. - placemen.

Now, before the club or anyone associated with it should debate anything with the SFA / SPFL or accept anything, it should be made publicly clear what is considered "sectarian". And after that debate - in public - it should be applied euqally to all clubs and supporters equally.

Right now, we seemingly have a rather context-free, new West-of-Scotland definition  of "sectarian" that essentially solely means any loyalist, pro-British, anti-IRA songs, regardless of context, meaning and when it is sung and to whom. Once police and authorities startetd to apply the naughty behaviour bill in equal measure, those who pushed it into being - hoping it would only go against us - cried foul and had it abolished. These days, pre-UEFA verdict, Humzah and Co.(nspiritors) started that strict liability campaign, which IMHO has but one aim: demonizing and punishing us and our club on vague arguments with virtually no basis, while leaving the terrorist-minded having their freedom-of-speech singalongs.

Club and supporters need to be pro-active here, or else we get f@cked again.