Alan Smith Wants First Team Football

Alan Smith says he wants assurances from Sir Alex Ferguson over his Manchester United future.

The former Leeds striker says he is concerned he may be restricted to a bit-part role for the champions next term.

And the England man admits it may be 'time to move on' if the United boss cannot promise him first-team football.

"If they are going to sell me, I'd like to know. But I won't find out unless I get to speak to the manager," Smith told The Sun.

"If you're no longer wanted, then you have to consider your options."

Smith returned from injury at the end of the season to help United clinch the Premiership title, but the arrival of Owen Hargreaves, Sporting's Nani and Porto starlet Anderson could severely restrict the 26-year-old's chances of regular first-team action at Old Trafford next term.

"I want to be out there from the start," added Smith, who still has two years to run on his current United deal.

"If the manager tells me he wants me, I'm there for him. If he says he doesn't, it's time to move on."

Meanwhile, Wayne Rooney says United's 1-0 defeat against Arsenal at Old Trafford was key to their title triumph.

"One result that stands out in my mind is losing to Arsenal at home in September. We went on a brilliant run of wins after that," Rooney said in The Sun.

"We lost and everyone was saying `the Reds are going to stumble after this', but we kept on going and we were unbeaten until December in the league.

"That's one of the best things about this team, we're defiant after a defeat. We know we can't afford to let it affect us.

"That comes from the togetherness of the team. We always bounce back after a loss."

I wonder if he casn't be promised it and we could get him on loan for a season. Walter and Sir Alex know each ither very well and everyone knows that Smith has a soft spot for the Gers

Even if he was to go out on loan i think Fergie would rather he went to a good league to keep him sharp. He would do a great job for us i have no doubt but i really cant see it ever happening.

I think you are underestimating the SPL, I'm not sure Fergie would do the same...

Is his contract not up this summer or next? Either way, I can see a host of Premiership clubs being in for him and able to pay much more in terms of a fee and wages.

I don't think Fergie underestimates the SPL at all, but Smith might not want to come up here. Besides, I thought it was all wishful thinking that Smith was a Gers fan?

Besides, I thought it was all wishful thinking that Smith was a Gers fan?

He is a fan, but i dont know how much of a fan. There was a pic kicking about a while back of him in a gers top in Glasgow (i think he was still at Leeds) and of course the papers were thinking he would be a Rangers player in the matter of a few days.