Alan Smith Wants First Team Football

If he left Man U he would have plenty of admiring clubs down south so he would stay in the EPL (or get a move to Spain or Italy).

The fee these clubs could pay would be far higher than we can and the wages would also be far higher than we can offer. At only 26 I am sure he has more ambition than playing with Rangers.

As Barry says, never going to happen.

Nah sorry Fraser I think your dreaming a bit with that one. I know he is apparently a Gers fan, but that doesn't mean much nowadays. In the past few months we have even seen 'so called' Gers fans moving across to the Darkside.

As has been said previously, there will be a host of English clubs after him, and that being the case we have no chance of getting him. He's also at that stage in his career when I don't think a loan move will interest him. He may be a Rangers fan, having being pictured wearing a top a couple of times, but is that in the same way that Scott Brown and Robbie Fowler are Rangers fans???

Malky

If Alan Smith is Rangers fan, it's probably his second team or Scottish team - a preference rather than fanaticism. There is no way I can believe he is a dyed in the wool blue nose like us...

I would say he "likes" Rangers rather than "loves".

PS I think we used to easily compete with mid range English teams especially due to medals and European football. However they as much from TV as our turnover and so can afford higher wages and the standard of the league is as a result also much higher.

If we ever looked like a backwater, it was never more than now...