• Filip Helander
    • Borna Barisic
    • Ryan Jack
    • Steven Davis
    • Glen Kamara
    • Brandon Barker
    • Ryan Kent
    • Alfredo Morelos

Helander was brilliant as was McGregor and both could easily have been MOTM but for me it has to be Barisic for the world class pass for the goal. He did his defensive duties well but his attacking play was sublime to add to that. For me he should have had 2 assists as I still feel Morelos's header should have rustled the netting. 

I went for Morelos for another outstanding display. As well as a fantastic goal, he cracked one off the bar when outjumping bigger defenders, forced a fantastic save from their keeper from another header, got 3 Porto players booked when they had to bring him down as he went past them, and ran the whole back line ragged all night. On another night he could have got a hat-trick but when you look at what he contributed it was another immense performance in a big game against one of the top sides in Europe.

Barasic, Helander & McGregor deserve special praise as well and there were no passengers as everyone put in a great shift. Obviously Jack had a brain melt and gave away a very poor ball and then failed to close the man down to prevent him getting his worldy into the top corner, but he played well and won a lot of tackles that aside.

1 hour ago, Frankie said:

Thanks for all the comments folks.

Always enjoy reading the differences of opinion.  :)

It’s not just the range of nominations that’s interesting but the variety of reasons given for justifying the choice. It surprises me the number of times the award is given either to the striker for scoring a single goal or the keeper for making a standout save, when the greatest contribution to the overall team performance is most likely to come from midfield or occasionally fullback or central defender. It would be interesting to see to what extent individual voters maintain the same principle or vote for the same player .... but maybe that stone is best left unturned ?

Barisic for me, absolutely world class - if that pass to Alfredo wasn’t pinpoint accurate we may have lost. He then delivered the cross that, on any other day, would have won us that game. His defending was also solid when required and really is a born again player. The other 10 men on the pitch were also fantastic and no problem with several others being voted MoTM, especially Helander, McGregor, Davis, Morelos, Kamara. Brilliant team performance which really surprised me. I thought we’re were capable of taking something, but I didn’t think we would. We passed the ball around like Barca, it was jus such a joy to watch. 

Edited by weebluedevil

3 hours ago, Bill said:

It’s not just the range of nominations that’s interesting but the variety of reasons given for justifying the choice. It surprises me the number of times the award is given either to the striker for scoring a single goal or the keeper for making a standout save, when the greatest contribution to the overall team performance is most likely to come from midfield or occasionally fullback or central defender. It would be interesting to see to what extent individual voters maintain the same principle or vote for the same player .... but maybe that stone is best left unturned ?

I voted for McGregor a few weeks ago because he saved us but I just thought Baricic's performance and his pass was such a thing of beauty that he deserved it this week. i think best all round performance was probably Helander though.