Jamie Barjonas Signs New Contract & RFC Colts progress in Challenge Cup

• Frankie changed the title to Jamie Barjonas Signs New Contract

I'm intrigued by this. It looks to me like he has very little chance of breaking into the first-team, but it seems the club, and Gerrard, regard him highly. It says that he's only just been added to the first team squad, which surprised me, as it feels like he's been around for ages. Saying that, he's still only 20. 

Our academy isn't just there to develop players for the first team.  It is also a source of revenue and many of our young players can be sold on.  Traditionally we've regarded success as an academy player making it into our first team, but other clubs use their academies purely to raise funds (by selling them to lesser clubs) that can be used to buy the players they need.

I have not seen evidence that our academy is doing either though at the moment.

In the snippets of games I have seen he always looks quite a tidy player who is seeking to play a meaningful pass.  As I expect he is not on that high a salary probably worth keeping for another year to see if he develops.  I suspect Gerrard might see him as having greater promise than Docherty who is about three years older and is currently not included in the match-day squads.  In terms of the midfield I am sure a priority for Gerrard will be someone who can control the midfield and take over from Davis when he retires.  

Yeh a bit of a surprise. He did all right at Raith Rovers and 20 is still young. What I don't understand though is why he isn't on loan just now? How can he move forward without going out and showing what he can do at a decent level.