The Winter 2019/20 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Campbell sounded like an exciting signing for sure, not easy to pick up young strikers with potential for a food price.

But I really feel like we have a squad capable of going all the way if we don't get serious injuries.  We don't have the depth that Celtic do, but I think we have a first team squad to match or better them this season.  Have to hand it to Gerrard, what a brilliant job he has done so far.

2 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

I can think of many examples as I'm sure you can. 

We might regret an unwanted outcome but we would never know if a player we might have signed, but didn’t, would have changed that outcome. That would be the realm of guesswork. 

Edited by Bill

47 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

Campbell sounded like an exciting signing for sure, not easy to pick up young strikers with potential for a food price.

But I really feel like we have a squad capable of going all the way if we don't get serious injuries.  We don't have the depth that Celtic do, but I think we have a first team squad to match or better them this season.  Have to hand it to Gerrard, what a brilliant job he has done so far.

Not having the depth of squad Celtic have concerns me. 

54 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

Not sure knowing anything for sure or not affects regret 

It determines whether or not you can realistically attribute that regret to a particular event. 

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

Not having the depth of squad Celtic have concerns me. 

The management are explicitly rejecting depth of squad.  I think they prefer to have fewer players.  Probably easier for a squad to learn to work together that way.

7 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

The management are explicitly rejecting depth of squad.  I think they prefer to have fewer players.  Probably easier for a squad to learn to work together that way.

That may be true but there are times when I think there are not a lot of options on the bench

4 hours ago, Bill said:

How would we know to regret it?

Potentially dropping points due to not having a player that can replace Barisic whilst our system is the same, Alfie getting suspended again and we know we struggle with Jd up front or an injury to Kent and we are left with Jordan Jones as our starting left winger.

2 hours ago, craig said:

We are, effectively, top of the table (notwithstanding the game in hand being won)….. we haven't lost ANY of our first team (yet), every player that has gone out has actually offered almost nothing in terms of even minutes this season.... so why would we regret it if we continue on the same trajectory we have in the first half of the season.

None of the players that have left have contributed.  And they didn't look like they had a chance of contributing.  So why keep them ?

Realistically, how could we improve the starting XI, or even the squad, in January ?

We can definitely improve the squad in January. An injury to Kent and our lack of real quality options in the “inside forward” positions will show so, IMO, we need a player the quality of Kent on the right side (Aribo will still play as we need a squad), a back-up for Borna and another striker.

37 minutes ago, NDC Gers Fan said:

Potentially dropping points due to not having a player that can replace Barisic whilst our system is the same, Alfie getting suspended again and we know we struggle with Jd up front or an injury to Kent and we are left with Jordan Jones as our starting left winger.

But you're making the assumption that signing will deliver what you describe. That's something you can only ever know after the event, it's a strictly retrospective opinion. You cannot say, as was suggested, that you can regret something in advance of knowing the outcome. What if you signed those players you describe and they failed to deliver your expectations - would that be something you could also regret in advance? The point is surely that you can fear a possible outcome but you can't regret the same outcome until after it happens.