Hearts increase prices for fans of Hibs and the Old Firm

MARTIN McMILLAN June 20 2007

Hearts last night defended a 30% rise in ticket prices that will be imposed on supporters of the Old Firm and Hibernian at Tynecastle next season.

Fans of Celtic, Rangers and Hibs will have to part with �£33 to watch their team in the centre of the upper section of the Roseburn Stand, a jump of �£8 from the last campaign.

Supporters in the other areas of the stand will be charged �£27, an increase of �£7 on last season, for Category A' matches. Opposing fans outside the Old Firm and Hibs will pay between �£17 and �£22 for Category B' games in the Roseburn Stand.

advertisement

Hibs fans have reacted with disbelief to the price increase, claiming Vladimir Romanov, the Hearts owner, is merely lining his pockets. But the club have defended the price hike in light of the planned redevelopment of the Tynecastle main stand in the coming campaign.

"We reviewed the pricing of match-day tickets at some length prior to any increases," said a Hearts spokesman.

"It's really all about supply and demand and we have to be commercially aware. Demand for tickets for Hearts versus Hibs at Tynecastle outstrips supply."

Hibs travel to Tynecastle on the opening day of the season and Dave Kowalski, a spokesman for fans website Hibs.net, said yesterday: "Thirty-three pounds is an outrageous price. I've not heard about an organised Hibs boycott, but if there was one, Hearts would deserve to lose money."

Meanwhile, FC Thun are seeking to secure a deal with Hearts to allow the Finnish striker, Juho Makela, to return to Switzerland.

The 23-year-old was loaned to Thun in February and is unsure of his Tynecastle future, despite being contracted until June 2009.

Reto Gertschen, the Thun general manager said: "The return of Juho Makela is an option for us. I spoke to him and he showed an interest to play for us again."

Hearts are also rumoured to be set to return Chile again with a move for international winger Jose Luis Cabion.

33 quid for a ticket that is daylight robbery and should be looked into by instances controlling price rices and monopolies.:mad:

boycott tynecastle. and charge them 50 for ibrox. they will soon change their tune.

Agree with that. These teams should get money back for the pigsty conditions we have had to endure over the last 30 years.:mad:

A definate boycott IMO.

They have the cheat to raise prices to fund the building of THEIR new stand!!! Absolute sack that - can the trust take this up with RFC?

The reason they have put hibs in there is probably because they play them 1st game of the season and they know the Hibs fans will be up for seeing the game. But everytime ive watched a Edinburgh derby there has been empty seats in the away end.

How does it work with away tickets again anyway? Do you put bank details in with your submittion? That way if your allocated Hearts the money will be taken off your account even though you dont want to go!! Seems a strange set up.

Trust comments:

The Rangers Supporters Trust unequivocally condemns the ridiculous ticket price rises announced by Hearts. This is yet another example of ordinary football supporters being completely ripped off. With football already far too expensive in this country for the quality of product on offer, it is with incredulity the RST notes Hearts have saw fit to raise prices 30 per cent.

The RST notes with sadness that this is another example of the game eating itself - as clubs seem determined to price ordinary working people out of the game; what long-term viability will Scottish football have as a business?

The Trust calls on Rangers to decline any ticket allocation for the match at Tynecastle scheduled for 15th September 2007. As Rangers supporters are required to apply for away tickets in entirety prior to the commencement of the season, such action by the Club is necessary to ensure supporters are not forced to pay such extortionate prices for a level of facilities that are substantially below that of Ibrox. Rangers could provide a facility to watch the game - which will undoubtedly be shown live on Setanta TV anyway - at Ibrox.

The Trust also calls for fans who believe that no club should take the fantastic Rangers away support for granted to make an example of Hearts and to vote with their wallets. Yet again, the disgraceful assumption that following a big club somehow means you have more money is being shamefully exploited by a wretched regime with no love for Scottish football or its paying punter.

£33 for a ticket for Swinecastle? That's daylight robbery. I hate giving £30+ to the tims.

Do what Gisabeer says, charge the Jambos £50 and see how they take it!

Gribz, when you fill out your renewal form for your season ticket you need to tick a box saying you want away tickets. Under the box you need to state how you wish to pay ie Visa. You then give Rangers your Visa number, expiry date etc. Rangers send out a letter stating the away games you have tickets for and when the money for these tickets will be taken out your account.

Gribz, when you fill out your renewal form for your season ticket you need to tick a box saying you want away tickets. Under the box you need to state how you wish to pay ie Visa. You then give Rangers your Visa number, expiry date etc. Rangers send out a letter stating the away games you have tickets for and when the money for these tickets will be taken out your account.

I thought that mate, it was like that when I had my ST, and i remember giving my bank details.

But for eg: can someone only tick Celtic, Dundee Utd and Hibs but still get allocated a Hearts ticket and then could the club automatically take the cash out the account even though that person didnt tick Hearts?

IIRC when i filled mine out years ago you only ticked 3 away games.

I thought that mate, it was like that when I had my ST, and i remember giving my bank details.

But for eg: can someone only tick Celtic, Dundee Utd and Hibs but still get allocated a Hearts ticket and then could the club automatically take the cash out the account even though that person didnt tick Hearts?

IIRC when i filled mine out years ago you only ticked 3 away games.

It's changed since then. There's only 1 box asking if you want away tickets. If you tick that you don't know what away games or how many away games you'll get tickets for.