PETER LOVENKRANDS is hoping to be back playing at Ibrox next season - as a Schalke player.

The Dane, who swapped the SPL for the Bundesliga a year ago, is praying Rangers can get through two qualifying rounds to join him and his team-mates in the group stages of the Champions League.

Lovenkrands still considers himself a Rangers fan and would love the chance to come back and play in front of a packed Ibrox once more.

He told rangers.co.uk: "It's great we're in the Champions League and I really hope Rangers can qualify too.

"It would really important for the club and for the fans and it would be a wee bonus for me if I could get Rangers in the group stage!

"It would be nice to come back and play at Ibrox again. I still have contact with a lot of the boys and some of my friends are Rangers fans as well.

"I still think of myself as a Rangers fan and I think I always will be. As they say: once a Bluenose, always a Bluenose!"

Lovenkrands has been following Rangers' progress closely since leaving these shores 12 months ago and believes his former side are on the up with Walter Smith now in charge.

He added: "I've followed Rangers every week since I left. I can watch all the games over in Germany as I've got all the TV channels so it's good to keep an eye on how things are going.

"They had a bit of a mixed season with Paul Le Guen leaving and Walter Smith coming back.

"I just think Le Guen went about it the wrong way with the players he brought in who didn't really connect with the ones who were already at Rangers.

"Things seem to have gone so much better since Walter and Ally McCoist came in and they've done a tremendous job from what I've seen.

"In the Old Firm games, in particular, they've been outstanding, especially the last one where they totally hammered Celtic.

"I think if Walter had been there since the start it would have been different in the league last year."

Would love him to come back, that was another mistake by Le Tit, by not keeping him

I think the main reason P.L is not still at Rangers is down to his own greed. He was offered a new contract on same wages when A.M was in charge and he wanted Rangers to match his 35K a week demands. Would have liked him to stay but not at that money

I think the main reason P.L is not still at Rangers is down to his own greed. He was offered a new contract on same wages when A.M was in charge and he wanted Rangers to match his 35K a week demands. Would have liked him to stay but not at that money

Agreed.

To say it was Le Guen's fault is naive. Lovenkrands had a great belief he was worth a shit load of money at a time when Rangers couldn't afford it. He would have been the highest paid player at Ibrox - would he deserve it based on performance ? NO.

He wanted more money than the club could afford - simple decision on the part of the club. For Lovenkrands he took money first (although to be fair he moved to a stronger league with a (currently) better team).

Lets face it, besides his purple patch towards the end of his Rangers career and his Old Firm goals, Lovenkrands was a bit of an enigma. Another Buffel if you like. Had the talent, but was played out position, was injured alot and disappeared to often in games. There was points in his Rangers career i'm sure we all wished we could have seen the back of him.

Malky

Id say we shot ourselves in the foot getting rid of him, same goes for Arveladze. 2 quality centre forwards who were made to play left wing.

Wasnt Lovenkrands offered a reduced deal though??

But he should still be a Rangers player. He has quality - something we lack. He actually may have been worth an improved deal as he was our bright spark in european games - which the club gets a big pay day from. We just couldnt afford to give him that rise.