Graeme Smith confirmed and Beasely arrives in Glasgow...

Rangers have completed the signing of Scottish goalkeeper Graeme Smith.

The former Rugby Park goalie has penned a three-year deal and will be back up for Ibrox number one Allan McGregor.

The 24-year-old began his career with Kilmarnock Boys Club before being promoted to their first-team squad.

He made his Killie debut on March 7, 2004 as a substitiute in a 1-1 draw against Hearts.

Having spent most of his time with the Ayrshire club as a deputy, firstly to Gordon Marshall then Alan Combe, Smith was loaned out to Queens Park during the 2001/02 season and then to Stenhousemuir in 2002/03.

He did, however, make 31 first-team appearances in 2006/07 due to Combe's injury problems and showed his potential with a string of impressive displays.

The Scot refused Killie's offer of a new contract at the end of the season and had no hesitation in signing for Gers when Walter Smith made his move.

Welcome Graeme hope you can do good for us

Before anyone starts dont go on about he isnt Rangers class etc

McGregor deserves another season as first choice and like bmck says we needed to save any money for more urgent areas of the team.

Agree with that Frankie. I think McGregor had a good season and apart for a few flaps he saved us in quite a few games.

Well I hope McGregor proves me wrong but I thought a keeper was a priority.

It will be interesting to see everyones views on this but McGregor has a lot to do to convince me anyway. Im not saying he is a bad keeper, but he is average to good.

Its the first time since i can remember supporting Rangers that Im not 100% confident with a keeper thats on our books.

Chris Woods, Andy Goram, Theo Snelders, Lionel Charbonnier, Stefan Klos were all class keepers that we could rely on.

The likes of Ally Maxwell, Jasper Christensen, Andy Dibble (for that 1 game), Thomas Mhyre (for his few games), Bonni Ginzberg were all decent back up and I fit McGregor and Smith into there category rather than the batch above.

The funny thing about Alan MacGregor is that he doesn't look in a totally inferiour class to Goram et al. Since Walter retruned he also has a good clean sheet and goals against record.

He might not be as good but just how many extra goals are we shipping due him not being able to lace Goram's boots?

I think a goal scoring midfielder and more prolific second striker would ultimately be better for our goal difference than bringing in a 5M 'keeper.