Souness coming back?

2 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I'll forever be grateful for what Souness did for Rangers and I'm happy for him to be involved with us but I'd be concerned if he got a place on the board or any executive position. Souness has regularly displayed poor judgement and pig-headedness. That stubborn streak that made him a great player doesn't serve him well in other areas of life. He's an entertaining pundit, personally I hope he sticks to that.  

I would agree if we were appointing him 10-15 years ago.  Yes he is strong willed and has a tendency towards pig-headedness, but having some sort of ambassadorial role or even a role on the Board in a non-executive capacity would be something I think he is more than capable of doing effectively.  Its one thing berating footballers and pundits, but you just wouldn't be able to do that sitting at a boardroom table.  Given his history with the club, how he is viewed by the support and his influence in the media, I would argue he is potentially ideally placed to take on such a role.

10 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Fairly happy with any symbolic appointment but unconvinced he's what we need in the boardroom.

My own reply was an opinion not fact 

There is a fairly big share issue coming up, do I think Souness could be involved and open up a return in some form ? 

Yes it’s possible 

But beyond that I can’t really clarify anything else 

I don't have any visibility or knowledge of the current board members, but what I do perceive is a relatively meek board now that King has stepped back from it.  I like Souness, but even those who don't must accept that he's a strong character and someone who would act as a good sounding board (with his own opinions).  Also, as someone's who demanded high standards on the pitch, I'd expect him to demand high standards off it also.  As long as he does not interfere with the football management I think he'd be an excellent addition to our club.  Welcome home!

Thinking some more on this, I think the danger with an appointment like Souness to the Board is that its used, like Walter was by Charles Greeen, as a smokescreen of respectability.  However when I compare the Easdales to the Parks, its not an equivalent situation so I'm not overly concerned.

Where I think Souness would come into his own would be in having a clear grounding in football and success, being able to influence and inform our footballing strategy and to be potential figurehead for the club, with gravitas, that would be something a professionally operated PR operation could use to good effect.

A good boardroom brings together a range of skills and experiences.  Someone like Souness would seem to add to what we have currently.

What skills do people think Souness has? He's an ex footballer, so he has insights into the game, but he stopped playing over 30 years ago now and hasn't managed for close to 15 years so how current those insights are would need assessed. I'd have thought our Director of Football and a large and expensive backroom staff could provide all the football insights our board need though. 

From what I can see he has no business acumen to speak of and has made a number decisions over the years that certainly make me question his judgement. His relationship with Willy Mckay should automatically exclude him from any decision making at our club. 

Souness was the right man to come to the club in the mid 1980s, lift our profile, set higher standards and provide the impetus for growth and success. I'll always be grateful to him for doing that. But that doesn't get him a job at the club now, particularly one he's not qualified to carry out.