[FT] Rangers 0 - 1 Hamilton Acas

While there's plenty of blame to go around, sections of the crowd don't help. The abuse that some of the players got was unacceptable and is creating an atmosphere that makes it more difficult for the players to perform.

1 minute ago, Bluedell said:

While there's plenty of blame to go around, sections of the crowd don't help. The abuse that some of the players got was unacceptable and is creating an atmosphere that makes it more difficult for the players to perform.

Atmosphere was strange last night.

Very subdued at the start of the game, then we had the embarrassment of the 8th minute applause, then the fans lost patience, then they got up for it with the second Livi goal and then we chucked it.

It's difficult to criticise supporters for moaning though when the team are making so many basic errors.  Tav and Barisic walking across the pitch to take set-pieces throughout the game was also really frustrating.  We moan about time-wasting and no tempo but contribute to it ourselves.

14 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Very subdued at the start of the game, then we had the embarrassment of the 8th minute applause, then the fans lost patience, then they got up for it with the second Livi goal and then we chucked it.

It's difficult to criticise supporters for moaning though when the team are making so many basic errors.  Tav and Barisic walking across the pitch to take set-pieces throughout the game was also really frustrating.  We moan about time-wasting and no tempo but contribute to it ourselves.

What was the 8th minute applause for ?

6 minutes ago, compo said:

What was the 8th minute applause for ?

A show of support for the manager. It started off very subdued but gathered momentum. As Frankie said, strange atmosphere last night and only really came alive when Livi took the lead then was sunk after about 5 mins when we lost our goal.

9 minutes ago, CammyF said:

A show of support for the manager. It started off very subdued but gathered momentum. As Frankie said, strange atmosphere last night and only really came alive when Livi took the lead then was sunk after about 5 mins when we lost our goal.

Cringeworthy, embarrassing and indicative of the "new" type of support we have. If I am honest, the snowflake sentiment behind the applause routine summed up last night very succinctly.

9 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

Cringeworthy, embarrassing and indicative of the "new" type of support we have. If I am honest, the snowflake sentiment behind the applause routine summed up last night very succinctly.

I kinda got it, bit didn't agree with it. Better ways to show support to the manager of that's your "thing". 

However, whilst we've never truly been a united support (even on the dark days of the Green and the likes), we are even more fractured now. 

I was surprised buy the attendance last night, it was far healthier than I expected but the atmosphere was as bad and as as "critical" as I expected. However, everyone pays your money, so they can chose to "support" the team as they see fit.

This period of our history is beginning to remind me of the John Greig era and for those of you old enough, that should give you nightmares. 

49 minutes ago, Frankie said:

There's a difference between moaning and shouting abuse.

Agree with the tempo issue. A guy I gave a lift to said that there were a couple of corners that took us 30 seconds to take. It all mounts up.

I thought in the first half Rangers were in control with some good passages of play.  We had some half-chances but were just lacking a goal but I thought with the pressure we had this was only a matter of time.  We started the second half a bit slow and then after the Hamilton goal we became too frantic with too many hopeful balls swung into the area.  I was surprised with the substitutions and considered that Kamberi was having a reasonable game and Kamara apart from a few errant passes was providing good link-up play especially with Aribo.  Their replacement by Defoe and Kent did not improve us and I felt that in this type of physical contest Defoe makes little impact and probably at this stage in his career is not good enough for Rangers apart from when no-one else is available.  I also think that Morelos was not at his best.

We create some good space in the wings with both Barisic and Tavernier seeing plenty of the ball but the latter's delivery is too hit and miss but with a preponderance of misses.  Barisic's delivery was better but I think we need more invention from him rather than floating hopeful ball after ball into the area.  

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

Chicken or egg? Does the crowd react to player performance or is player performance a reaction to the crowd?

I'm at a loss to understand why the crowd could be blamed for what goes on on the park. We have an amazing support, hugely loyal. We fill stadiums wherever the team plays. I'm not going to start blaming those supporters for the shit being served up by players who, frankly, have lost their bottle.