• Filip Helander
    • Calvin Bassey
    • Ryan Jack
    • Steven Davis
    • Joe Aribo
    • Ianis Hagi
    • Ryan Kent
    • Jermain Defoe

A fairly tepid display but with the work done early doors, lots of personnel changes as well a hard game last midweek and this coming Thursday, it was no surprise we played within ourselves somewhat for the majority of this match.

Some decent performances nevertheless: I thought Ryan Jack was excellent in the first half whilst Hagi was our most dangerous attacking player and did brilliantly for the opening goal so for that reason the Romanian gets my vote.

Hagi for me too. Had that extra bit of creativity, particularly at the first goal, after which the game was basically finished. He drifted out the game in the second half a bit (like most) but continued to work hard offering himself for passes and closing down the opposition.

Hagi was our main creative force during that first half, drifting out out it like the rest of them later on. 

Tavernier was excellent too: that assist to Defoe was pin-point. 

However, I think Davis was at the heart of that creativity early on too, and while the rest of them drifted out of it, he continued to graft when it got tough; he continued to probe but also covered us defensively too when we were a bit sloppy. 

Davis gets it, for me.  

Good start to match with two early goals, unfortunately, thereafter, the team became rather sloppy in their passing and the game fizzled out.  There were a number of reasonable/good performances but none of the players stood out for the full 90 minutes.  For a steady and reassuring performance I have gone for Helander, with honarable mentions for Jack and Tav.

There were no stars on Sunday. It wasn't that kind of performance from the team. The main contributors for me were Ryan Jack and Iannis Hagi. While Jack's game is about reliability and consistency, Hagi adds the mercurial flair that makes all the difference against bus-parkers and for that reason he gets my vote. 

A worthy mention too for for Filip Helander, who rarely puts a foot wrong these days

Hagi for me too.  Great touch and assist to get us going early on, which is always welcome.  And he got 84 minutes which is the longest he's played for quite a while I reckon - and he's starting to add a bit of sharpness to his play that I think was lacking in previous games, albeit he continues to provide quality moments and assists regularly.