[FT] Benfica 3 - 3 Rangers (Goncalves 24og; Kamara 25; Morelos 51)

FWIW, I'm expecting a team along the following lines.  It may be Barker starts instead of Kent or Aribo but I'd imagine the manager will want to play his strongest team (at this moment in time at least) and I'd argue this is it for now.

rfc_benfica.jpg

34 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think it'll be a counter-attacking side. 

I'm not sure as Benfica often go with four at the back so I'm unconvinced there's as much scope for the likes of Barker or Kent to get in behind.  As such, I think the manager may be thinking of pressing Aribo into action further forward to help us maintain possession.

It's quite odd that we are playing Benfica for the first time (in a competitive match) but the matches either side, versus Kilmarnock and Hamilton Academical, feel much more important. 

I'd happily take a draw this evening.  Benfica lost 3-0 to Boavista at the weekend but the cost of their squad is significantly higher than ours.  

Edited by Gonzo79

9 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's quite odd that we are playing Benfica for the first time (in a competitive match) but the matches either side, versus Kilmarnock and Hamilton Academical, feel much more important. 

I'd happily take a draw this evening.  Benfica lost 3-0 to Boavista at the weekend but the cost of their squad is significantly higher than ours.  

We will beat Benfica and Hamilton.

2 hours ago, Frankie said:

FWIW, I'm expecting a team along the following lines.  It may be Barker starts instead of Kent or Aribo but I'd imagine the manager will want to play his strongest team (at this moment in time at least) and I'd argue this is it for now.

rfc_benfica.jpg

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I think it'll be a counter-attacking side. 

It's going to be very interesting. Against Willem II and Standard Liege it was Kent & Hagi. But against stronger opposition, Leverkusen, it was Kent & Barker. Benfica are strong but not in Leverkusen's league.

I hope Aribo gets the nod. There just isn't enough technical ability in the Morelos, Kent, Barker trio in my opinion. Aribo gives you a target for bringing down long balls and holding the ball up really well, as well as more ability to pick a pass and create chances. I wouldn't be surprised to see Roofe play too. Rested at the weekend and he has much more pace than Morelos. I would be more confident in our ability to create chances and score goals with a trio of Roofe, Aribo, Kent.