Alfredo Morelos

15 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

Surprised this thread came up as I have been saying on here and FF that critics should lay off Morelos as he is playing a different role,obviously to instruction.Agree some of his first touches have been poor but some of his passes sublime.Also he is the only plater who seems to try a quick throw in,as last night,rather than leave to the full backs.

When I started this topic I fully acknowledged the different role Alfredo is being asked to play. The question wasn't whether or not his current role is different from last season ... or whether he was performing well or otherwise. The question I posed was why has his role changed, not whether it had changed or if it had been a successful decision. Thankfully, one or two have actually tried to answer that question rather than just describe outcomes.

28 minutes ago, Bill said:

When I started this topic I fully acknowledged the different role Alfredo is being asked to play. The question wasn't whether or not his current role is different from last season ... or whether he was performing well or otherwise. The question I posed was why has his role changed, not whether it had changed or if it had been a successful decision. Thankfully, one or two have actually tried to answer that question rather than just describe outcomes.

He's young he is still on a learning curve as is all  the rest of them they're developing into a very decent team the best I've witnessed in a long time 

He is playing a different sort of role this season, which is working well for the team but makes him less of a focal point - which isn't something we're used to.

His performances are a bit hot and cold - at Benfica he looked like a £30m player but in other matches his passing and link up play is poor (in patches).

I'm a big fan and think his new role is very important to how we're currently performing, albeit there's room for improvement. 

Edited by Gonzo79

2 hours ago, Bill said:

The question I posed was why has his role changed, not whether it had changed or if it had been a successful decision. Thankfully, one or two have actually tried to answer that question rather than just describe outcomes.

You asked why it is has changed but it’s perfectly natural to discuss whether it has been successful. But the question also takes for granted that it is Morelos-specific and as I said I don’t think that’s true, Roofe, Defoe and Itten do the same thing. It’s just a tweak to team’s strategy and it’s about bringing more fluidity to the front 3. 

Edited by DMAA

9 minutes ago, DMAA said:

You asked why it is has changed but it’s perfectly natural to discuss whether it has been successful. But the question also takes for granted that it is Morelos-specific and as I said I don’t think that’s true, Roofe, Defoe and Itten do the same thing. It’s just a tweak to team’s strategy and it’s about bringing more fluidity to the front 3. 

I'm not sure Itten and Defoe can bring the same thing. (Roofe can, certainly, but I think he likes the deeper position.)

Itten has tended to play the wider position, which is different. He was good midweek, but it was a different style of game. 

Defoe can play the same role, but not every game; he's 38. I think he's more potent coming off the bench, or playing the odd game. 

I actually like the options we have up front; it's quite exciting. 

17 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I'm not sure Itten and Defoe can bring the same thing. (Roofe can, certainly, but I think he likes the deeper position.)

Itten has tended to play the wider position, which is different. He was good midweek, but it was a different style of game. 

Defoe can play the same role, but not every game; he's 38. I think he's more potent coming off the bench, or playing the odd game. 

I actually like the options we have up front; it's quite exciting. 

They are very exciting. I think they all play it as well as Morelos or better. Roofe is the best IMO, I really like him playing up front. Defoe, I would disagree. I think his technique, link-up play and passing are great and he is excellent dropping deep. He just can’t shake the poacher tag for many though. Think of the Hamilton game, he didn’t even score, but as I said in the match thread I don’t believe we would have scored 8 goals if he hadn’t played because he was really good. Itten, when played in his preferred position looks to me like he might just have all the abilities to play it. I think his technique and link-up play are good and he played the role really well on Thursday. We need to see more of him of course before making definitive comments. 

The tactical tweak brings us much closer to Liverpool’s system now, not least with a goalscorer like Roofe beside the CF. 

Maybe another reason for changing his role is that he is much more disciplined now - less likely to flare up or become frustrated. Certainly he's not doing the silly things he did last two seasons when we all thought his departure was inevitable. I wonder if he's more or less attractive to prospective buyers now. 

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

I wonder if he's more or less attractive to prospective buyers now.

It's an interesting consideration. His general discipline has improved a lot but his ability to leave defenders for dead and score regularly have decreased.

I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Benfica are keeping tabs on him.

On 12/12/2020 at 13:57, alexscottislegend said:

Maybe another reason for changing his role is that he is much more disciplined now - less likely to flare up or become frustrated. Certainly he's not doing the silly things he did last two seasons when we all thought his departure was inevitable. I wonder if he's more or less attractive to prospective buyers now. 

That theory got blown out of the water today.