[FT] St Mirren 3 - 2 Rangers (Goldson 7; Davis 88)

The next few games will be very revealing and should tell us where we are on the path to recovery to trophy-winning status. Was it just the inevitable stumble of an otherwise successful side? Or did it expose something more fundamentally wrong? The answer will dictate what we achieve this season.

2 hours ago, onevision said:

Basically Goodwin's tactics were to put a man marker on Tav and you more or less stop our main threat which i think proved successful.

Of course it wasn't just that tactic alone! the whole team was poor and maybe too many changes to the starting team?. I always say we should play our strongest team in every match, if you want to win it! the other problem is giving fringe players game time, however if you start with your best 11, don't believe in resting players, and get a couple of goals up you can then change out some players, having said all that the 11 who started should have been good enough to win that match, the players let the manager down, I don't think you will see SG making that mistake again.

Onto Saturday now and winning that sees us 16 pts in front in the league.

2 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Of course it wasn't just that tactic alone! the whole team was poor and maybe too many changes to the starting team?. I always say we should play our strongest team in every match, if you want to win it! the other problem is giving fringe players game time, however if you start with your best 11, don't believe in resting players, and get a couple of goals up you can then change out some players, having said all that the 11 who started should have been good enough to win that match, the players let the manager down, I don't think you will see SG making that mistake again.

Onto Saturday now and winning that sees us 16 pts in front in the league.

Maybe that’s the problem, assuming we would win without 2 main men in midfield who could play and our regular left back.

We've been saying that our bench/squad looks strong this season.  If we can't rotate against the likes of St Mirren, we obviously don't have a strong squad at all.

A few players didn't play well last night, Gerrard couldn't find a way to fix things and St Mirren did their job - that's why we lost.

11 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

If we can't rotate against the likes of St Mirren

There is no shame in the fact that rotating away at grounds like that are a risk. They haven’t been beaten by more than a goal against Rangers or Celtic at home in at least a couple of years I think. We needed a Barisic free kick to win it last time and we were at full strength that time. Football isn’t that black and white, some clubs make themselves very hard to beat on their own ground with a good manager. 

8 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

We've been saying that our bench/squad looks strong this season.  If we can't rotate against the likes of St Mirren, we obviously don't have a strong squad at all.

A few players didn't play well last night, Gerrard couldn't find a way to fix things and St Mirren did their job - that's why we lost.

I think you are being kind by saying a few players. I can't think of one player that played well