The Winter 2020/21 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Really interesting signing. Can’t be denied that it will raise a few eyebrows as he hasn’t played a big part at Aberdeen. He seems to fit the bill for a backup with Stewart not getting games and question marks over Jones. In the lead up to their equaliser against Celtic you saw a flash of brilliance from him, exceptionally close ball control followed by a deft through ball. He basically created that equaliser single handedly. But he hasn’t done that often. I have watched almost all their highlights from this season and he has very much been a supporting act. Interestingly, Aberdeen seem to have tried to get him playing like Kent, through the middle despite it not being his natural position. He runs at the defence as a decoy before playing it out to Hayes to cross in space a lot. We have obviously seen enough in him to bring him in so that’s good enough for me. 

Aberdeen will be desperate to get it done in this window now because they are desperate for cash and now that he’s going anyway I imagine they would much rather a cash boost than to keep a player their fans hate for another few months. Every game they start him there would be an outcry, it’s not good for anyone (not least McInnes who is getting a lot of abuse on the back of this). The player will be desperate to get away from that city too now that he is public enemy number one so I think a deal will be done near the end of the window. Aberdeen are in a very weak bargaining position though and I expect Rangers to take full advantage of that and to drag things out till Aberdeen eventually settle for what we are offering. 

19 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Really interesting signing. Can’t be denied that it will raise a few eyebrows as he hasn’t played a big part at Aberdeen. He seems to fit the bill for a backup with Stewart not getting games and question marks over Jones. In the lead up to their equaliser against Celtic you saw a flash of brilliance from him, exceptionally close ball control followed by a deft through ball. He basically created that equaliser single handedly. But he hasn’t done that often. I have watched almost all their highlights from this season and he has very much been a supporting act. Interestingly, Aberdeen seem to have tried to get him playing like Kent, through the middle despite it not being his natural position. He runs at the defence as a decoy before playing it out to Hayes to cross in space a lot. We have obviously seen enough in him to bring him in so that’s good enough for me. 

Aberdeen will be desperate to get it done in this window now because they are desperate for cash and now that he’s going anyway I imagine they would much rather a cash boost than to keep a player their fans hate for another few months. Every game they start him there would be an outcry, it’s not good for anyone (not least McInnes who is getting a lot of abuse on the back of this). The player will be desperate to get away from that city too now that he is public enemy number one so I think a deal will be done near the end of the window. Aberdeen are in a very weak bargaining position though and I expect Rangers to take full advantage of that and to drag things out till Aberdeen eventually settle for what we are offering. 

Sounds like he's shoehorned into Aberdeen's dreadful style. 

Do you think he might suit our style better?

(I've not seen their games, and have no desire to do so. :D )

14 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Sounds like he's shoehorned into Aberdeen's dreadful style. 

Do you think he might suit our style better?

(I've not seen their games, and have no desire to do so. :D )

Yeh he will. For a start he will get far more opportunities to run the ball and link up with other attacking players. I saw on their forum a number of them saying they play better football when he is in the team and Hedges is at his best when Scott Wright is playing. I think he could be a very decent backup player. One concern I would have is his finishing, I noticed in the highlights he isn’t exactly clinical. We’ll see I suppose.