[FT] Rangers 1 (Jack 38) - 0 Kilmarnock

16 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I think what's been bothering me for a while now is that we don't seem to create a lot of 100% chances (as Advocaat used to call them). We don't seem to be testing the goalie as much I think we should

Thats why I've started to re-watch games as I tend to "forget" incidents and chances during a game. For the record, havent watched yeterdays game back but off top of my head we did create 100% chances ;

Tav scored a goal that was ruled out. During the game I thought he was just offside, but not seen an angle that shows for definite if he was or wasn't offside. 

Tav then got brought down in the act of shooting (you'd have backed him to score) and it was 100% a penalty. 

Ryan Kent at start of 2nd half had a fantastic shot that brought out a brilliant save from the Killie keeper.

Around the 80th minute mark, we had a brilliant breakaway and Kent lays a 100% chance on a plate for Aribo who contrives to miss.

There's 4 x 100% chances off the top of my head from yesterday so on another day we win the game 4 or 5 nil and everyone is purring over the performance. 

Edited by CammyF

2 hours ago, der Berliner said:

It is almost "funny"  to read elsewhere that "thank heavens, Alfredo`s suspension is over", as if the lack of goals*  was Itten's fault or Alfredo has score many more since Boxing Day. And if things don't seem to work (unless people like carving out 1-0s no matter against whom for the best part of 2 months), why not ask for a change in tactics or personell?

We just appear to function better as a team when Alfie is playing. As for change in personnel, well we tried that against St Mirren and Hamilton and look how that turned out. 

15 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

We just appear to function better as a team when Alfie is playing. As for change in personnel, well we tried that against St Mirren and Hamilton and look how that turned out. 

Yeah agreed - said during the match yesterday that Alfie occupies the 3 central defenders. His game is based on physicality, battling and more often than not, bullying defenders. 

He also knows when to drop deep or wide which then opens space for our "impact players" to play in and create. 

Roofe is a different type of forward, he is cute and clever and exploits the time and space created by an Alfredo type. 

Itten is different again as he seems happier coming from wide positions against smaller and less physical full backs. 

All offer something different but Alfie is the only one who can do the "bulldozer" role and he does it brilliantly 

there has been a clamor for others to be given a chance. Well they have and didn't take it. 

we either continue with this in the hope it improves or go back to what worked better asap. 

I know what I would choose but that is irrelevant. I trust Gerrard with whatever he chooses. 

1 hour ago, CammyF said:

Can Wright play on Thursday? Don't think he's in the named squad? What have you seen in Wright in the 70 odd games he's played in his career at Aberdeen and Dundee to believe he can significantly improve our team, not only domestically but in Europe? Don't get me wrong, think he is an exciting prospect and over time will be a decent player for us.

What players didn't cut it yesterday? We've been unable to play a settled team recently (so we've had changes) due to injuries and suspensions to key players.

As far as I’m aware Wright is in our  euro squad. One of my he 7 homegrown players. 

Which players didn’t cut it yesterday?

kent and aribo. Becoming a habit unfortunately 

Edited by RANGERRAB

54 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

We just appear to function better as a team when Alfie is playing.

His presence on the pitch alone terrifies defenders! he occupies their mind regardless if he scores or not, he bullies them and when he plays these points create space for others

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

Has it tho? We totally controlled the game yesterday and only inept officiating stopped us winning by a healthy margin. 

How do you know we won't continue to keep winning playing the system that has got us so close to the ultimate prize, we've done alright thus far? 

In a league campaign there will always be times when the performance levels dip and all you can ask is that the team find away to keep racking up the points, some thing we have done this far. 

At this stage of any season, its simply all about getting victories and was long as we continue to win, I don't care how we win, what type of performance we give, who plays and who doesn't. The end result is ALL that matters.

That is all fine and well, and no-one expects us to win game by the canter or show some breathtaking stuff. Yet it was sure not "only inept officiating" that stopped us "winning by a healthy margin". Its not the officials that try to pass the ball into the net, whip balls wide of the target or the like.

Alas, with Wright we seem to have someone to push for a starting place, someone with a direct way of playing, similar to Hagi. As I said before, I wouldn`t mind sending Roofe, Morelos and Itten out on the park, as they all do a similar workload if placed into Aribo`s and/or Kent`s boots. They can all play in the front row in a 4-3-3 or with a 4-2-3-1.

17 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

As far as I’m aware Wright is in our  euro squad. One of my he 7 homegrown players. 

Which players didn’t cut it yesterday?

kent and aribo. Becoming a habit unfortunately 

Kent didn't cut it? We must have been watching a different game. He brought a wonderful save from their keeper and set Aribo up with a sitter and was involved in some of our best passages of play.

Aribo didn't have a great game but he always struggles when he is in midfield 3, needs to be played further forward - said as much during the match

14 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

That is all fine and well, and no-one expects us to win game by the canter or show some breathtaking stuff. Yet it was sure not "only inept officiating" that stopped us "winning by a healthy margin". Its not the officials that try to pass the ball into the net, whip balls wide of the target or the like.

Alas, with Wright we seem to have someone to push for a starting place, someone with a direct way of playing, similar to Hagi. As I said before, I wouldn`t mind sending Roofe, Morelos and Itten out on the park, as they all do a similar workload if placed into Aribo`s and/or Kent`s boots. They can all play in the front row in a 4-3-3 or with a 4-2-3-1.

But it's the officials that wrongly ruled out a good goal and denied us a stone wall penalty - so that's 2 goals they denied us - that would have made the game 3-0 before half-time.

Didn't see us try to walk ball into her yesterday. Kent had a great effort brilliant saved, then set up Aribo with a tap in that he contrives to miss. It happens, players miss chances, players performances drop at times.