Gerrard interview - confirms the five players involved

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

I think it would be a real shame for Patterson to be sent packing; a homegrown youngster with huge potential. But we can't discriminate here - the die was cast with Jones and Edmundson.

Jones & Edmundson only sent on loan.  so only short term.

As fans it is easy for us to take the moral high ground and demand they be dismissed.  As a corporation it is a little different as these are financial assets too (particularly Patterson), and we need every penny we can get.  I am a believer in second chances so would be OK with them being suspended and fined internally (on top of their fixed penalties).  Though I can see why people would want them sacked I don't necessarily agree with such draconian actions.

I would be more concerned at Patterson's family deploying a cover-up story.  What if the club took an "innocent until proven guilty" approach and allowed him to train and travel with the first team given what he and his family were saying ?  That particular situation could have completely derailed our season.  If he and his family are lying and covering up his whereabouts then the club should punish him to the fullest extent possible - which, I guess, would be sacking him - and in contradiction to what I said above.  But lying like this, and potentially putting first team squad at risk of social distancing could have been catastrophic.

I think demands that any players breaching Covid restrictions are sacked are just daft.

It sets a dangerous precedent (imagine if next time it was Kent, Morelos, Hagi and Barisic - would we want them all sacked?). It's economically silly (players are financial assets).  The restrictions seem to have been made up on the spot by people playing a guessing game.  They're young men, probably missing a bit of female attention - giving them a warning should be sufficient.

Anyone who has ever had to deal with employment law will know that you can't sack anyone "immediately", there are stringent processes in place that must be followed or you leave yourself open to a claim for unfair dismissal. 

Disciplinary proceedings may have been instigated but as SG stated, this is now (rightly) an internal matter. 

33 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I think demands that any players breaching Covid restrictions are sacked are just daft.

It sets a dangerous precedent (imagine if next time it was Kent, Morelos, Hagi and Barisic - would we want them all sacked?). It's economically silly (players are financial assets).  The restrictions seem to have been made up on the spot by people playing a guessing game.  They're young men, probably missing a bit of female attention - giving them a warning should be sufficient.

spot on, writing people off for one mistake is mental. We would certainly never have won 9 in a row doing that. 

23 hours ago, craig said:

Jones & Edmundson only sent on loan.  so only short term.

As fans it is easy for us to take the moral high ground and demand they be dismissed.  As a corporation it is a little different as these are financial assets too (particularly Patterson), and we need every penny we can get.  I am a believer in second chances so would be OK with them being suspended and fined internally (on top of their fixed penalties).  Though I can see why people would want them sacked I don't necessarily agree with such draconian actions.

I would be more concerned at Patterson's family deploying a cover-up story.  What if the club took an "innocent until proven guilty" approach and allowed him to train and travel with the first team given what he and his family were saying ?  That particular situation could have completely derailed our season.  If he and his family are lying and covering up his whereabouts then the club should punish him to the fullest extent possible - which, I guess, would be sacking him - and in contradiction to what I said above.  But lying like this, and potentially putting first team squad at risk of social distancing could have been catastrophic.

Yes, I know that Jones and Edmondson were sent on loan, but I would be suprised to see them back, given we have signed Wright and Simpson as virtual replacements. But I agree it's a diffcult problem.