International football - is it worth it?

12 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

If you can't set aside who national team players play for at club level that's a bit sad to me. 

It's up to the individual.  I had no problem cheering any Scotland goals as a kid.

Since the Duncan Ferguson episode, my first and only trip to a Scotland match and then what happened to us in 2012, my interest in the national side has veered from disinterested to can't stand them.  When people like Brown and Griffiths are playing, that just provides another excuse not to care.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

The defining difference is that only one of them wore a Rangers shirt. Beyond that, there is no similarity.

There's no similarity between Johnston when he was at Celtic and Griffiths? Really?

Anyway, it's not my argument. I was just joining out what I thought it was, while recalling my view on Johnston at Celtic was similar to my current view of Griffiths.  

46 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's up to the individual.  I had no problem cheering any Scotland goals as a kid.

Since the Duncan Ferguson episode, my first and only trip to a Scotland match and then what happened to us in 2012, my interest in the national side has veered from disinterested to can't stand them.  When people like Brown and Griffiths are playing, that just provides another excuse not to care.

it certainly is. 

One thing I do believe is that international football isn't actually very good to watch any more, I can't think of a national side that has been scintillating to watch for quite a few years now, most countries seem to just rely on big players performing, there's not much in the way of cohesion, movement and tactics that we've had the fortune to see at Ibrox this season.

Haaland is one player I loook out for though, the guy has everything, he must be horrendous to play against.

4 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

In no way can it be described as representing "Scotland". It represents the Scottish Football Association, directed by the people who run the sport, the same people who have almost run the game into the ground for the last several decades. Their record speaks for itself. The standard of football has been truly awful and it continues to be dire, drifting and directionless. What is it exactly that we are supposed to hang our allegiance to - kilts in the glen or sporting achievement? Because if it's the former then this is probably as good as it gets.

On 28/03/2021 at 19:19, ranger_syntax said:

One is a Celtic player scoring for Scotland against England.

The other is a former Celtic player scoring for Rangers.

These things are not analogous. Are they even similar?

Now I get you but I think John M. was just trying to show that both situations had a common denominator which was that they both attracted an equal amount of obloquy.