European Championship 2020 (2021)

Just now, Rousseau said:

I must be blind.

I've seen England create nothing, with Italy creating several, albeit half, chances. 

England have been like this all tournament. Create bugger all, yet nick goals and defend well.

At some point I'll need to concede that they're a better side than I think. 

Calling Italy’s chances half is charitable. You can tell by their own frustration they’re not getting behind. They’re passing better, beautiful one touch - sideways. Could all change. They have the talent - they have shown that - to cut England open but England have been positionally excellent. 

2 minutes ago, bmck said:

Tell me a fellow Classicist - that put one over my head - is not one of those anti England ones. England have pressed immensely well, they’ve created the only real chance and made it count. By far the better side so far. The number of times Tripier has been open if they had a Goldson. If only he was English. 

No - I've wanted them to win I the past.

At this stage it's a point of pride: I don't rate their style of play, I don't think it's that good. They don't create anything. It's basically defend well, and rely on someone to create a bit of magic most of the time - or rely on a mistake.

Tactically they got it spot on - as much as Italy didn't, though.

I

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

No - I've wanted them to win I the past.

At this stage it's a point of pride: I don't rate their style of play, I don't think it's that good. They don't create anything. It's basically defend well, and rely on someone to create a bit of magic most of the time - or rely on a mistake.

Tactically they got it spot on - as much as Italy didn't, though.

I’ve been working through the tournament, first game I’ve saw, alas. I’d still want them to win regardless of play style. What I’m seeing tonight I like. Effective press. They just don’t have attacking flair - they could have, if they could have someone who could look up a see the spaces the attacking full backs are in particularly tripier and be able to ping an Italy style pass. 

3 minutes ago, CammyF said:

All Italy so far in 2nd half - England dropped way to deep 

Yup. They need to calm down and play four or five passes. Though this Italy side press.