European Championship 2020 (2021)

11 hours ago, Bill said:

Nationalism, Scotland’s shame

I feel like it’s *, Scotland’s shame at the moment. Was out on the boat yesterday and on the way back home we stopped for some water, sat nav led us through a wee estate - window with a Scotland and England flag up. Small mercies and all that. 

On 08/07/2021 at 14:12, Bill said:

I find I have no difficulty wishing our neighbours well or understanding their joy at a small success after so many years of failure. In fact it would be petty and parochial to be anything other than generous towards them. Let them be proud to be English and if some of them go over the top then let's not be so disingenuous to think we wouldn't do exactly the same. Otherwise we just look like people with an enormous chip on our shoulders .... we're not, are we?

I moved to England shortly before the 1966 win.  And they were claiming it as a victory for British football when it was a victory for English football.What annoyed us more than anything was to see so many Union flags at Wembley - a flag England are not entitled to. Thankfully, now they have learned after 55 years what their national flag was. We wouldn't be the same though - we would be a damn sight worse!

35 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

I moved to England shortly before the 1966 win.  And they were claiming it as a victory for British football when it was a victory for English football.What annoyed us more than anything was to see so many Union flags at Wembley - a flag England are not entitled to. Thankfully, now they have learned after 55 years what their national flag was. We wouldn't be the same though - we would be a damn sight worse!

These are our neighbours friends and families, and fellow countrymen. I’d rather take their hubris over our never-ending wee man syndrome. They can fly union jacks if they want too - it’s not their national flag, but it is that of their country’s. 

47 minutes ago, bmck said:

These are our neighbours friends and families, and fellow countrymen. I’d rather take their hubris over our never-ending wee man syndrome. They can fly union jacks if they want too - it’s not their national flag, but it is that of their country’s. 

You may need to revise your history of the union flag (the term' Union 'Jack' is technically incorrect); their country's flag is included in it - as is Scotland's.

1 minute ago, alexscottislegend said:

You may need to revise your history of the union flag (the term' Union 'Jack' is technically incorrect); their country's flag is included in it - as is Scotland's.

Is it not called the Union Jack when flown as a jack flag at sea?

UA

HMS Pedantic

3 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

It’s the Union Jack if people call it the Union Jack and people do call it the Union Jack and no amount of Canute-like pedantry is going to change that.