http://www.gersnetonline.net/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=472&Itemid=2

Already, much has been written about the start of the season. Some of it is based on our reasonable start; some of it on the challenges we continue to face; and some of it understandably on past issues.

What disappointments me most of all is the continued theme of negativity throughout all these topics. While one can empathise with these feelings, I think it�s time we tried to move on from the last 2 years of non-success and the last 7 years of inconsistency. Obviously, although that in no way means we should be ignoring the continuing problems we face in some areas, I�m firmly of the opinion positivity breeds success and such an attitude can only help our club.

Let�s look at matters on the park first. Ten new signings, 5 decent results and 5 clean sheets resulting in our early position at the top of the SPL and an increased chance of our progression to the financial pot of the Champions� League rainbow. Considering the number of new players, the short summer of rest and the fact we lost out on a few targets, all in all it�s a satisfying start.

Obviously, it�s not without its concerns. Walter�s tactics continue to be best described as overly cautious, the team are playing too deep (especially at Ibrox) and the lack of a genuine creative player is all too evident. However, in this bear�s opinion, the good far outweighs the bad.

Our central defence looks as solid as it�s been since the days of Richard Gough. Carlos Cuellar appears to be a better version of Jean-Alain Boumsong and David Weir gives the aura of an experienced teacher lending his skills and discipline to the younger players. Alan Hutton and Allan McGregor continue their development and both being called up by Scotland highlights their consistency. Sasa Papac has also contributed very well to our decent start and while Kirk Broadfoot has been less assured, he�s coped well with being thrust into the pressure cauldron of the CL qualifiers at both right and left full back.

In midfield, we�ve seen much flexibility. Our wide players seem agreeably interchangeable and while creativity is certainly short; we do seem able to enforce our play more effectively in the latter periods of games. Organisation and hard work seems the key here and although frustration can result for the fans, discipline and patience is as much a part of football as gung-ho attack. Kevin Thomson goes from strength to strength; Barry Ferguson and Brahim Hemdani bring their usual composure while DaMarcus Beasley and Nacho Novo have made chances and scored goals from deeper areas. Last and certainly not least, the much maligned signing of Lee McCulloch has shown that the big man�s industry and commitment all over the pitch will serve us well for the next 2 years.

Up front is less clear at this stage. It appears that all our strikers appear to be struggling with the lone striker role as well as finding an understanding when 2 forwards are actually deployed. Kris Boyd is short of confidence and Jean-Claude Darcheville works hard with few rewards though fortunately, Daniel Cousin has shown that he seems to have the right mix of target-man, pace and finishing qualities to get the nod. Certainly, our conservative outlook to our tactics and formations hasn�t helped the development of our forward line. With time I�m confident that will come.

All in all, our signings have started well enough and while their reputations are mainstream rather than spectacular, we should be encouraged at how they�ve gelled quickly and helped attain this decent start. Not to mention the likes of Webster, Whittaker and Gow who have not yet had their chance to impress.

Off the pitch, well, weâ��ll start with investment first. The playing squad needed �£10million spent on it and we seem to be approaching that figure. Indeed, Iâ��d imagine qualification for the CL Group Stage will see another 2 signings. A much needed creative influence (despite the returning Buffel) and another left-back (if the rumours about Stevie Smithâ��s lack of progress are to be believed) should be the main targets. While none of us have reason to trust David Murray, he does deserve praise for belatedly matching the supportâ��s ambitions. One just wonders why this didnâ��t happen last summer. Perhaps, given PLGâ��s poor transfer market performance, itâ��s just as well for our finances he didnâ��t receive the same kind of kitty.

Unfortunately, the spectre of sectarianism reared its ugly head again 2 weeks past. While the matter was again sensationalised and exaggerated by parts the media, it was good to see the Rangers fans (via the Trust, Assembly and Association) unequivocally condemn the minority of yobs with the offensive add-ons. Given the progress our wonderful support has already made in the battle against bigotry, I�ve no doubt we�ll continue to show our detractors that we can win this war and give those of other clubs who have similar problems food for thought in their own fights.

Thus, with the club AGM being held next Thursday, the board will be feeling a bit more confident of facing the shareholders. Let them not rest on their laurels though. Much improvement is still required at the club and 5 good results and even CL qualification should not hide that. Whilst this article urges a positive outlook, the chairman and the board of directors must invoke further decisive change at our club.

Firstly, changes at board level must be sought. The debt has risen again and some directors appear bereft of ideas to change this. John McLelland, Dave King and Alistair Johnston should be doing much more to innovate, invest and improve all aspects of the club. If they can�t, it�s time they were replaced. We have several talented high net worth fans here in Scotland who have shown through their own business operations that they can provide this outlook. Are they ready to step up to the plate?

Similarly, it�s imperative that the club appoints a fan to the board at last. While reasonable dialogue has been ongoing in recent times, rhetoric and open-ended commitments must be turned into real supporters� representation. A democratically elected executive board member is an important stage to the fans being more involved in the decision-making of the future. Given our tremendous loyalty and unwavering financial commitment of the last 135 years, our rightful place at the table must be offered.

Other challenges remain as well. Our PR continues to be well below average and our marketing and branding unacceptably poor despite the financial considerations of the JJB deal. We must also consolidate on our under 19s successes of last year and look to improve our training facilities and youth system to match the very best in the world. If Hibs can bring through and make millions on young Scottish talent, then so can we. Rangers are the world most successful club ââ?¬â?? do we want to keep that proud record?

Thus it�s from the top of the league and off the back of a good home result against a dangerous Red Star team that I issue this rallying call. Yes, let�s ensure the relevant questions about the running of the club are still asked vociferously. Yes, let�s ensure the players (new and old) are aware of what we expect from them. Yes, let�s ensure the manager is constructively criticised to aid improvement.

But, letââ?¬â?¢s start to look forward ââ?¬â?? not back. If we donââ?¬â?¢t do that, we start to put the positives in shadow, the light will fail and the vultures will circle again.

Rangers are the proudest, most successful team in Scotland. Our fans are second to none ââ?¬â?? to none ââ?¬â?? and we seem to be emerging from a dark, dark time slowly but surely. None of us want to repeat the last couple of years. We want a brighter future and we want to be the best. Letââ?¬â?¢s show it by being positive and concentrating not on the negatives but by doing what we do best ââ?¬â?? being loyal; being proud; being steadfast and being supportive.

We are the people!

Great read Frankie and i agree 110% with the message you are projecting.

Just to look back for a second though, i do wonder why PLG never got the transfer money he was promised. That will remain a mystery to me.

Great read Frankie and i agree 110% with the message you are projecting.

Just to look back for a second though, i do wonder why PLG never got the transfer money he was promised. That will remain a mystery to me.

I thought PLG had about �£4m left in his kitty that he didnt feel the need to spend?... Think i read that somewhere on here in January.

Great read btw Frankie, especially the last paragraph. Things are really looking up right now and noising up Ibrox can only bring us and the players more confidence, and hopefully trophies.

I thought PLG had about �£4m left in his kitty that he didnt feel the need to spend?... Think i read that somewhere on here in January.

Great read btw Frankie, especially the last paragraph. Things are really looking up right now and noising up Ibrox can only bring us and the players more confidence, and hopefully trophies.

given the crap he brought in with what he did spend im glad he never spent it all.

Le Guen was a strange one, he must have been the only man in Scotland that thought the defence didn't need strengthening in January...

I think his ego got the better of him; perhaps his time at Rangers will teach him some humility which will be useful in his later career.