Pre-Season Megathread | Rangers 2 (Sakala 54; Itten 77) - 1 Real Madrid [FT]

3 hours ago, Uilleam said:

Myth? 

Well, let's start with Myth Sturgeon.

Homer nods, Sturgeon wobbles.

But, hey, it's so, so, difficult to keep the heid steady with a' thae snakes wrigglin' and writhin', and writhin' and wrigglin'. 

To be fair, no part of any man was turned to stone in the making of her legend. 

Medusa fits the bill too. Turned to stone with cunting boredom, perhaps.

Cerberus was the three faced dug that stopped you leaving the hell you’d been taxed into. 

Both work brother. 

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

PS Can we leave Face/Off out of it - one of the worst films ever made, featuring some preposterously bad acting (mainly from Cage).

Bad actors. Works on another level. 

5 hours ago, Uilleam said:

How much does RM charge for a game like this?

I've really no idea how these things work but I'd be surprised if major sponsors aren't involved in at least partially funding a friendly like this. The exposure for the likes of Castore would be significant.

9 hours ago, Bill said:

I've really no idea how these things work but I'd be surprised if major sponsors aren't involved in at least partially funding a friendly like this. The exposure for the likes of Castore would be significant.

I don't know, either. I imagine that Los Blancos will demand -and get- a fairly hefty guarantee, sufficiently large to make it difficult to see the the match washing its face, financially, unless some generous sponsorship comes in. 

Of course, RMTV may be involved, and there may be a cut, from that, and from associated/ancillary income, for Rangers, which would help.

Overall, I don't get the impression that the Club is arranging this as a big earner. I would be delighted if I was wrong. 

11 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

I don't know, either. I imagine that Los Blancos will demand -and get- a fairly hefty guarantee, sufficiently large to make it difficult to see the the match washing its face, financially, unless some generous sponsorship comes in. 

Of course, RMTV may be involved, and there may be a cut, from that, and from associated/ancillary income, for Rangers, which would help.

Overall, I don't get the impression that the Club is arranging this as a big earner. I would be delighted if I was wrong. 

tend to agree. quite probable RM fee is 7 figures. 

1 hour ago, bmck said:

A good use of the share issue money….. kidding kidding ;)

It's all one big pot but it does pose the question is it worth the money. We don't know the numbers so it's hard to discuss fully. I would say it is even if it is making a loss. We need to celebrate this anniversary properly and we need to get our reputation as a huge club polished up. 

It is a real shame we can't get a full house. 

There is of course the possibility we are getting this cheap. I seem to recall them playing Dundee utd not so long ago after coming to Scotland for pre season training. 

1 hour ago, the gunslinger said:

It's all one big pot but it does pose the question is it worth the money. We don't know the numbers so it's hard to discuss fully. I would say it is even if it is making a loss. We need to celebrate this anniversary properly and we need to get our reputation as a huge club polished up. 

It is a real shame we can't get a full house. 

There is of course the possibility we are getting this cheap. I seem to recall them playing Dundee utd not so long ago after coming to Scotland for pre season training. 

Agreed on all counts. It would be best if Real Madrid could hear us as well as play us. Still, will take it. Global Rangers and all that. 

There is no way Rangers is losing money in this fixture. Or that RM is prostituting themselves for seven figures of Rangers money. I also think it's highly unlikely this friendly is taking place at Rangers' sole request. Sometimes, the inherent negativity from some quarters of our support is just absurd. The apparent need to find fault with the club suggests an urgent need to review priorities. We have predictions of share issue failures, accusations of share price shenanigans, and now throwing money at Real Madrid. When you consider the prudence shown in recruitment these last few seasons and the rebuilding of infrastructure and brand, you have to ask where does this pessimism and lack of trust come from?

Edited by Bill

16 minutes ago, Bill said:

There is no way Rangers is losing money in this fixture. Or that RM is prostituting themselves for seven figures of Rangers money. I also think it's highly unlikely this friendly is taking place at Rangers' sole request. Sometimes, the inherent negativity from some quarters of our support is just absurd. The apparent need to find fault with the club suggests an urgent need to review priorities. We have predictions of share issue failures, accusations of share price shenanigans, and now throwing money at Real Madrid. When you consider the prudence shown in recruitment these last few seasons and the rebuilding of infrastructure and brand, you have to ask where does this pessimism and lack of trust come from?

I think the sentiment was more even if it made a loss it would be worth it rather than it being predictive of one. Certainly for me. Our moves couldn’t have been sounder recently, in my view.