Official: Gio confirmed as Rangers manager

Just now, compo said:

Whoever's in the hotseat we should still win the league such is Scottish football but I only have one wish that any new manager if we are to have one plays good open attacking football played with style .

And yet you want Ally McCoist and Steven Davis in charge... :facepalm:

10 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Surely it's because the Aston Villa job is available? You can't leave for a job that isn't available. 

It's the same with those that are saying he should wait until the end of the season - why would he wait when the job is available now? You can't pick and choose when a job opens up.  

So all his talk of ''being happy'' at Rangers and keep building for the future was bollocks? I just can't see why he would want the Aston Villa job just now tbh? he would best served staying @ Ibrox at least until his contract is up and building his reputation, especial in Europe!.

It's a huge risk taking on the Aston Villa job on IMO, if they get relegated and on a bad wee run then theses billionaire types are quick to replace managers!!.

I'm not too bothered if he chooses to go, but the timing is a real blow to me as Rangers fan and season ticket holder.

Edited by ian1964

There's an element of delusion amongst many of our support.

If I was Gerrard, I wouldn't think twice about this.  More money in a significantly better and far more competitive league - you'd have to be mad (or a Rangers man) not to.

Scottish football is a total joke.

Just now, Gonzo79 said:

There's an element of delusion amongst many of our support.

If I was Gerrard, I wouldn't think twice about this.  More money in a significantly better and far more competitive league - you'd have to be mad (or a Rangers man) not to.

Scottish football is a total joke.

Then you have to wonder why he came to Rangers in the first place then? has he failed in Scotland?

Just now, ian1964 said:

So all his talk of ''being happy'' at Rangers and keep building for the future was bollocks? I just can't see why he would want the Aston Villa job just now tbh? he would best served staying @ Ibrox at least until his contract is up and building his reputation, especial in Europe!.

It's a huge risk taking on the Aston Villa job on IMO, if they get relegated and on a bad wee run then theses billionaire types are quick to replace managers!!

You can be happily married but if Margot Robbie throws herself at you, you've got a decision to make (which divorce lawyer are you going to choose). :D 

For me, the only way he builds his reputation more is by getting a PL gig. 

I don't think Aston Villa are getting relegated. I agree it's not a sure thing. What happens if we lose the League this season. Does that not tarnish his reputation? There's risk everywhere. 

5 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

It's a huge risk taking on the Aston Villa job on IMO, if they get relegated and on a bad wee run then theses billionaire types are quick to replace managers!!

That's football today and they all say it, players included. There are not many that turn down better pay and conditions but the decision to leave Gers for Villa  must have been a finely balanced decision with pros and cons on bothe sides. 

Edited by ChelseaBoy
update data

Just now, ian1964 said:

Then you have to wonder why he came to Rangers in the first place then? has he failed in Scotland?

It was a great opportunity for him.  His results have got him a move to the EPL and got us 55.

It's all part of the football merry-go-round.

Not sure what Steven Gerrard is thinking here , I’d say he’s just decreasing the chances of becoming the Liverpool manager , I’m still hoping that he stays at olde Ibrox , he improved Rangers almost from day one , but it did take him time to actually succeed .

4 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

He came to get his first job and build his reputation.

He's done that. He's done a wonderful job.  

But it's clear he wants the Liverpool job eventually, and he'll not be able to go from us to that job. He needs another step. 

I hate to break it to you but we can't compete with (a) Villa, who spent £250M over the last season or two, or (b) the PL, the richest league in the world. 

Just now, Gonzo79 said:

It was a great opportunity for him.  His results have got him a move to the EPL and got us 55.

It's all part of the football merry-go-round.

I still think there is something happening behind the scenes! he also came across as a loyal type of man with morals! he is a born winner, how much do you think he will win with Villa?. Terrible timing is the worst part of this for me, his move to a big EPL team would have come later.