Rangers 1 - 0 Livingston (Arfield 75)

5 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

The recruitment of Sands is a bit of a strange one. Seemed to have signed one player in an area where we have depth.

Gonzo is right and there is a bit of opportunism in there. Jan is always hard in terms of getting what you need. 

32 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

So why recruit a 6 not an 8. 

As others have stated, Sands is a good prospect and brings a lot of versatility, so he's a good acquisition -- even if it remains to be seen if he will be a success. He actually fills the CB issue we had too. 

We do actually have options at #8 (Arfield, Aribo, Bacuna and Hagi), but circumstances have gone against us, here, in terms of injuries, AFCON and being p*sh. Jack could play there too. 

I still think RW is the most pressing position to fill, but certainly #8s and #10s are next on the wishlist.

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

I still think RW is the most pressing position to fill, but certainly #8s and #10s are next on the wishlist.

I agree. I can only hope we are trying to play the waiting game with Bologna over Skov Olsen to get us the best deal possible. Otherwise I'd have hoped we would have made moves to address this by now. Perhaps we have and its not public knowledge. 

9 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

As others have stated, Sands is a good prospect and brings a lot of versatility, so he's a good acquisition -- even if it remains to be seen if he will be a success. He actually fills the CB issue we had too. 

We do actually have options at #8 (Arfield, Aribo, Bacuna and Hagi), but circumstances have gone against us, here, in terms of injuries, AFCON and being p*sh. Jack could play there too. 

Yeah very much agree on all that. 

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

What I would do for a left footed goal-scoring right winger. Our options there seem to be Scott Wright and Sakala. As much as I’m happy with Sakala’s contribution, he shouldn’t be a starting right winger and Scott Wright isn’t up to it. It’s a real weak point in the squad. 

Lowry is a really good addition in the middle in terms of creativity and with Arfield and Jack returning I would very much doubt we’ll bring anyone in. 

Right back is the other obvious position, I was sure we’d bring someone in but it is looking like we are tightening the belt a wee bit and Sands will be covering a few positions. With the full backs less advanced now maybe we can get away with that, but an injury to Tavernier would still be pretty disastrous I think. 

On hindsight, one probably has to look at the conditions last night, sweeping rain and wind throughout. And a side determined to stop you from playing any sort of constructive football - and Livingston is probably the "Wimbledon of the 90s", being well drilled, settled and knowing what they were doing.

Going by the above, I would hesitate from singling out certain players more than others. Halfway through the second half I muttered to myself that performances like these are the reason why no-one truly wanted/wants to sign Goldson or indeed Tavernier, as opposed to Patterson. Put together, them two probably had a handful of good and decent crosses or long balls from the back all game. Bassey - when he saw some room, ventured forward and Sands quickly took his position at the back.

It became rather apparent early on that we did not need two DMs and it took ages before we changed that. Likewise, while Sakala de facto ran the show alongside Lowry, we sure needed more attacking threat in the final third. No matter when, our attackers always had 2 or 3 defenders in close attention, Itten did well to hold up the ball, but Sakala and Wright were usually too far away and when a Kamara is asked to join up the attack, you know what is on the cards. IMHO, as soon as everyone is fit enough, in games like these we should send out Roofe, Itten/Morelos and Sakala as an attacking front line, constantly harrassing the opposition`s defense line, while everyone else comes behind them. Wright is no right-sided attacker and his game suffered from that and the conditions. IMHO, yesterday was tailor-made for a 3-4-3, with one DM sitting in front of the defence line, allowing either of the right- or left-sided defenders the odd foray up front, while having effectively 6 attacking players in front of these 4 guys.

You instantly saw the change in play when Arfield joined, as he was closing down defenders and midfielders alike as well as joining the attack and running into spaces. He looks like he can go on for a good few years, though we`d do well to find another player of his ilk.

Lowry is quickly showing that he`s old (i.e. good) enough to play at this level, even though he might sit out the odd game. I still wonder whether there are restrictions with him being a B-Team player.

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

What I would do for a left footed goal-scoring right winger. Our options there seem to be Scott Wright and Sakala. As much as I’m happy with Sakala’s contribution, he shouldn’t be a starting right winger and Scott Wright isn’t up to it. It’s a real weak point in the squad. 

Lowry is a really good addition in the middle in terms of creativity and with Arfield and Jack returning I would very much doubt we’ll bring anyone in. 

Right back is the other obvious position, I was sure we’d bring someone in but it is looking like we are tightening the belt a wee bit and Sands will be covering a few positions. With the full backs less advanced now maybe we can get away with that, but an injury to Tavernier would still be pretty disastrous I think. 

Skov Olsen... 👀 

37 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

The recruitment of Sands is a bit of a strange one. Seemed to have signed one player in an area where we have depth.

I thought that it may be because Kamara may leave in this window.