• Borna Barisic
    • James Sands
    • Glen Kamara
    • Scott Wright
    • Alex Lowry
    • Fashion Sakala
    • Cedric Itten
    • Scott Arfield

Easy to criticise the players last night for a mediocre performance but I'd like to go against the grain a wee bit. First of all the awful conditions shouldn't be underplayed. Same with losing so many key players - Aribo, Kent and Morelos are three vital cogs in the machine.

Moreover, as much as we struggled at times, I think the players worked very hard and kept asking questions. Yes, genuine quality wasn't there for the most part but the attitude was good which is a positive. I also felt Barisic, Tav, Lowry, Sakala and Goldson had good games.

My own man of the match was James Tavernier.  Time and time again this guy leads from the front in terms of getting us into games and last night was another captain's performance.  It wasn't a vintage display by any means but I think it was his positive attitude that allowed us to really peg Livi back and finally get the goal.

I thought Lowry again looked good in spells but his influence on the game was actually quite limited compared with Tavernier, Goldson and my nomination Sakala, whose energy and directness were so refreshing. I actually felt Sands turned in another competent performance and is starting to settle in quite well. So pleased for Arfield.

Our midfield was quite wasteful at times, I can't remember Kamara making so many misplaced passes. I think Calvin Bassey's form is becoming a little concerning and we need to find a way to coax his confidence back to life. I'd like to see Balogun or Helander back in central defence, with Bassey competing for the LB role again. 

Edited by Bill

1 hour ago, MacK1950 said:

Problem is it happens too often in games for me.

It's hard to understand why Kamara has gone off the boil. He still shows his talent in phases but his concentration lapses too often for a fully established first team player. This started well before GVB arrived so it's not the change of manager. Perhaps he's too comfortable, needs competition.

I’ve given it to Lowry because of the quality of chances he created, he could easily have been walking away with a few assists. 

Sakala had a major influence and was deserving of the award though, despite being a bit wasteful. And Arfield could get it for that goal alone, a moment of pure magic that won the game.