• John Lundstram
    • Scott Arfield
    • Joe Aribo
    • Ryan Kent
    • Alfredo Morelos
    • Leon Balogun
    • Glen Kamara

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Once again our new midfield partnership got through an absolute storm of work and that was no small contribution from McGregor either. In fact it would be a lot quicker to note who didn't shine last night but the standouts were surely Balogun, Bassey, Kent, Morelos and Tavernier. It would be wrong to opt for anyone but the captain as MOTM on this occasion. That was real leadership last night. And what a night it was.

Lundstrum a tad unlucky not to make your list of standouts but very much agree with this. 

3 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

Lundstrum a tad unlucky not to make your list of standouts but very much agree with this. 

He easily could have but it was always going to be Tavernier. Rather than his individual performance, what I saw was Lundstrum's partnership with Jack and the sheer workload they got through covering spaces. It's not just what they do with the ball that wins games and our defensive midfield is like night and day compared with the final days under Gerrard.

Hard to disagree with any of the candidates in this thread. Quite a few came to the fore in he second half after Gio's tactical switch, namely Kent, Morelos, Bassey & Balogun. Must make mention of Aribo's 5 clearing headers from corners in the period when we were really under the German cosh. Great defensive work. Poor guy looks worn out though, badly needing a rest imo. In summary, it has to be the captain. Sometimes pilloried but never hides. Showed his true qualities and led by example with 2 fantastic goals. Tavernier for me!:champs:

Only Barasic, Jack (looked injured to me, was a half yard off most of the game) and the truly awful Goldson (how many more times must he cost us goals before something is done?) were below par last night, the rest were fantastic but the captain produced a real captain's performance and is deserving of the MOTM award. Bassey's assist for the second goal will live with me a long time, it was a beautiful piece of skill for a big man to create the half yard to put the cross in. Could watch that over and over again (and i have!). 

Kent's 2 performances must have been noticed by bigger and richer teams than us, and his value has soared as a result. You could say the same for Alfie probably as well.