12 minutes ago, BEARGER said:

When he came in I thought he was the man for the job, but now I have my doubts. It looks like he does not have it in him to make the big decisions e.g. McGregor as Bluedell had already said. 

That pretty much sums it up for me. The McGregor thing is such an obvious decision he seems to have bottled out of which could continue to cost us.

On the flip side, you have to consider that the team has needed an injection of serious quality to it for a couple of seasons now which just hasn't happened. Putting last season to one side, we started this year with issues on the pitch which SG didn't seem to know how to fix and it turned in to a "greatest hits" of his reign - we seemed out of ideas; vulnerable to long balls & set pieces; inability to break down stuffy defences etc. Since Gio has come in, even with his tactical tweaks, I just get this feeling of Groundhog Day.

I guess its going to go one of two ways.

If we lose the league, having effectively thrown it away due to results against teams other than Celtic, do we trust Gio to be the man to turn it around next season - given the squad is going to need a lot of work in the summer.

If we win the league, whilst not exactly doing it in style, do we trust Gio to be the man to strengthen us next season and make the tough decisions when it comes to a few players who I think should be let go?

I'm not convinced he's the right guy in either scenario tbh, because he seems to be struggling to fix the issues which have been here all season.

I don't understand this stuff about the jury still being out on GvB. Is no one watching our games any more? Because it's all there to see every time we take the field. For me, it's one thing trying something out and assessing the value of it but when you keep on doing something that is repeatedly failing then that's rings a huge warning bell. Who here would have left Helander and Balogun on the bench in order to play our best left back in central defence? Or persisted with a keeper who won't command his area and whose distribution is awful? How many times do you have to see these decisions before the jury comes back in. Why would you allow someone to bring in his own players unless you trust his decision making. I hope to hell I'm wrong but from what I've seen I just don't think GvB is the man to drive us forward to the CL treasure we so badly need and we will pay a heavy price for his intransigence.

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

Would you sack him now, Bill?

No, there would be no gain from doing that. But I'd certainly be considering alternatives at the end of the season if things continue as they are.

Would you advocate persevering with him if we fail to win the league?

Like most on here I think the jury is still out and may be out for a while yet 

GVB has inherited a number of players from SG whom he clearly doesn’t want. Some because he doesn’t rate them & others for different  reasons i.e constantly injured or past their best. So we’d need to wait until he gets his own players in til we judge him properly although there must be concern after the January transfer window in which 4 new players arrived & can’t get a game

I also think he’s wrong to keep playing McGregor who’s past his best & could cost us silverware 

37 minutes ago, Bill said:

No, there would be no gain from doing that. But I'd certainly be considering alternatives at the end of the season if things continue as they are.

I don’t think our Board are strong enough to make that decision which is my worry.

Its really difficult to give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment because of the McGregor thing which appears to be the easiest & most obvious decision he’ll ever have to make here but seems determined to stick with him.

Aside from that, he has shown that like Gerrard, this bunch of players seem to have some sort of Jekyll & Hyde thing going on.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

I don't understand this stuff about the jury still being out on GvB. Is no one watching our games any more? Because it's all there to see every time we take the field. For me, it's one thing trying something out and assessing the value of it but when you keep on doing something that is repeatedly failing then that's rings a huge warning bell. Who here would have left Helander and Balogun on the bench in order to play our best left back in central defence? Or persisted with a keeper who won't command his area and whose distribution is awful? How many times do you have to see these decisions before the jury comes back in. Why would you allow someone to bring in his own players unless you trust his decision making. I hope to hell I'm wrong but from what I've seen I just don't think GvB is the man to drive us forward to the CL treasure we so badly need and we will pay a heavy price for his intransigence.

I really hope you are wrong.

1 hour ago, ascender said:

Aside from that, he has shown that like Gerrard, this bunch of players seem to have some sort of Jekyll & Hyde thing going on.

There are players who on their day are world beaters but they lack consistency and that is why we can afford them.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Would you agree Bill that Gerrard made some poor signings towards the end of his time at Rangers ?

And GVB somehow needs to replace these players ?

which he (or someone else) will need time to do.