27 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Would you agree Bill that Gerrard made some poor signings towards the end of his time at Rangers ?

And GVB somehow needs to replace these players ?

which he (or someone else) will need time to do. 

You have a point, but SG is gone. Gio had a window to bring in one if not two players to freshen up the starting 11. 2million was punted on Ramsey, I assume Gio agree to that? He could have decided pay the sheep 500k and shore up our defence instead and saved the board 1.5milion. The Jan window was a golden opportunity and a critical one to strengthen and stay ahead of them in the race, we failed miserably and I think if Gio is a strong manager with the right influence, that's on him.  

33 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

You have a point, but SG is gone. Gio had a window to bring in one if not two players to freshen up the starting 11. 2million was punted on Ramsey, I assume Gio agree to that? He could have decided pay the sheep 500k and shore up our defence instead and saved the board 1.5milion. The Jan window was a golden opportunity and a critical one to strengthen and stay ahead of them in the race, we failed miserably and I think if Gio is a strong manager with the right influence, that's on him.  

I presume you’re referring to paying hertz 500k for Souttar in January ?
I think hertz wanted sell-on clauses added in & we wouldn’t agree to that. So we wait til end of season to get him.

Regards the January transfer window has Ross Wilson questions to answer?

Edited by RANGERRAB

Souttar was injured when we played at the Piggery and usually plays in front of an on-form Craig Gordon.  I think some folk are fantasising a wee bit if they think he would've solved our defensive issues (I'm not denying he might've made a difference).  

It'd be interesting to know the specifics of what went on with the Ramsey loan deal.  

14 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

I presume you’re referring to paying hertz 500k for Souttar I. January ?
I think hertz wanted sell-on clauses added in & we wouldn’t agree to that. So we wait til end of season to get him.

Regards the January transfer window has Ross Wilson questions to answer?

Yes, i was referring to Souttar (sorry I mentioned sheep). I don't think we know the specifics, but I'm sure we could have got him without any sell-on clauses, but in offering less I think they wanted to recoup in another way. Regarding Wilson, maybe he does have to be challenged, but surely the manager has the final decision? if not, the relationship between Gio and Ross could well end badly. IF we don't see Ramsey make a signifcant impact before the end of the season, someone's head needs to roll. We do not have 2million to flush down the drain ffs! 

Edited by weebluedevil

2 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Would you agree Bill that Gerrard made some poor signings towards the end of his time at Rangers ?

I will agree that the current squad is essentially the same one that ran away with the title last season and hardly conceded a goal. I'll also agree there isn't a manager born who doesn't have players he needs to replace. But most of all I'll agree that this team is underperforming its potential week after week and not only are we not finding solutions but by and large we're not ever trying to find one. Everyone wants GvB to succeed but that probably involves him doing something to demonstrate success.

9 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

There are players who on their day are world beaters but they lack consistency and that is why we can afford them.

Yes, if Kent plays like he did against Dortmund every week, he's playing for Dortmund. 

9 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

I don't subscribe to this. 

Are you referring to Lundstram and Sakala, specifically? I think they are good players, that have just taken a while to find their role. Lundstram in particular, I think, was signed to play a certain position but couldn't fulfill it; but now that he's found his DM role, he's been superb. Sakala is similar in the sense we're not quite getting the best out of a decent player.  

This squad is good. GvB should be able to get a tune out of them.

Basically, we should not need a rebuild every time a new manager comes in; that's unsustainable and goes against one of the main purposes of having a DoF.

The jury is in, for me. I've never been convinced. I've really dropped off in terms of watching our games. I've not been enjoying it - even the early wins (admittedly very good wins) were rather poor, for me. 

I didn't want him pre-SG, I didn't want him post-SG. I felt that, for most, the only attribute he had going for him was that he was a former Rangers player, so 'got it', which doesn't make sense, to me. (I did get caught up in the excitement of getting him, but I think that'll always be the case with a new manager.)

I've posted this before, but I have a distrust of Dutch managers. I think they are too wedded to a certain style and atmosphere, that only really works and exists with certain players and clubs (Dutch clubs or Barcelona); systems in which everyone is geared towards one way of playing. That would be nice to recreate, but we're not in that position. In some ways we're seeing this Dutch style: lots of possession, but very little cutting edge - add to that a bomb-scare defence, then you're not in a good place. 

I think the recruitment has been fine. We're skint. We spent and spent to get 55. I know most would like us to keep spending, but it's not feasible - not unless we want another 'journey' through the lower leagues. We've signed 'quality' players, for minimal outlay, to improve the first-team - that haven't quite found their place. I think that's the manager's fault. 

I think the squad is still quite good, generally speaking. We can always do with more quality additions, though. And we've signed some good back-ups. 

However, the manager's position is Wilson's fault. I think our DoF has made a mistake in going with GvB.