3 minutes ago, CammyF said:

A board with a vision, ambitions  and the financial ability to take is to the next level. 

Otherwise we have to settle for 2nd best in Scotland and the Europa League.

Personally I want to be top team in Scotland over a 10 year period and be in the CL group stages every year. 

Ambitious? Yes. Achievable? Yes, with the correct management. 

All due respect Cammy, who are the club going to attract, in a footballing backwater, with the "financial ability" to take us to the next level ?  These custodians have put their hands in their pockets to a massive extent.  Anyone with the "financial ability" to take us to the next level have always had that opportunity to come in and buy the club or take a significant stake in it - why havent they ?  I would love for Elon Musk to buy us as he has the "financial ability" - that doesnt mean he has any desire whatsoever to do so.  So, who are these people that are just sitting in the wings waiting to take us on ?

We don't have to settle for second best in Scotland at all - look at how much Celtic spent and yet we still beat them to the title last season with a team that cost a fraction of what theirs did.  As for Europa - are we conveniently forgetting that we, or Scottish teams in general, have been abject failures in Europe for decades, the odd aberration aside ?  We are significantly punching above our weight in Europe - whilst we all want to be successful there it is little more than a bonus.

CL group stages every year would only happen if we get automatic entry - look at Celtic's history in the CL when they were getting the CL riches every year and spending a ton of money on players - they rarely got there.  No reason to not want that for the club, but realism would suggest it is fairly unrealistic. 

23 minutes ago, craig said:

In fairness (not aimed at you) I think it is churlish to be blaming Wilson for "Bosmans and loans" when we have, on Bosmans, secured Mcgregor, Davis (yes, they played their part previously, can't look at just this season), Aribo, Bassey, Jack (admittedly pre-Wilson), Lundstrum

We have actually done remarkably well in the Bosman market

Don’t think aribo & bassey were bosmans 

4 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

One of two things is true.

1) we need any player sales cash to cover our losses

2) we dont

What does the evidence point at

Neither, unless you have insight to the club finances.

I will say it again, just because we didnt spend big in January doesnt mean that the funds werent there to spend if we wanted to.  Hindsight is great but when we sold Patterson in January we didnt have a NEED to buy players as we were comfortably top of the table.  Was it a mistake to not spend ?  With hindsight, yes.  In early January was there a need to spend ?  Much as though as fans we love to see new, quality players, the reality is we looked very comfortable in the table and the Board probably felt we had enough to win the league.  

So, again, I don't think you can say that Wilson was lying - we sold Patterson not because we had to but because it was financially advantageous to cash in on a back up player with a fee that no club in Scotland would have turned down.  And the Board/Wilson/Gio probably felt no need to spend those funds in January and wait till the summer given where we were in the table in January 

44 minutes ago, craig said:

Not Weston ?  Alegria ? McCann ?

Having watched the B Team a lot this year, I think we'll be lucky of one of those 3 makes it (with us).

Weston scores goals at Lowland League level and is an intelligent player. He reminds me of Robert / John Flack and John Spencer. I hope he makes it, but would need to be loaned out to see how he performs at a higher level. 

Any time I've seen Alegria I've not been impressed. Doesn't score as many as Weston and hasn't set the heather on fire at Thistle.

McCann has been inconsistent when I've seen him. Sometimes best player on pitch, other times anonymous. I think he is behind Lowery but could make it if he can get his consistency. 

On the B Team, I'd like them to move from Dumbarton and play at Morton next season. Dumbarton pitch ain't the best where Morton's looks much better. 

Also we need to market the games more - it's great value for money but very poorly attended

Edited by CammyF

1 minute ago, RANGERRAB said:

Don’t think aribo & bassey were bosmans 

They effectively were.  They were out of contract and we had to pay a development fee for both, at 250k per player.

5 minutes ago, craig said:

All due respect Cammy, who are the club going to attract, in a footballing backwater, with the "financial ability" to take us to the next level ?  These custodians have put their hands in their pockets to a massive extent.  Anyone with the "financial ability" to take us to the next level have always had that opportunity to come in and buy the club or take a significant stake in it - why havent they ?  I would love for Elon Musk to buy us as he has the "financial ability" - that doesnt mean he has any desire whatsoever to do so.  So, who are these people that are just sitting in the wings waiting to take us on ?

We don't have to settle for second best in Scotland at all - look at how much Celtic spent and yet we still beat them to the title last season with a team that cost a fraction of what theirs did.  As for Europa - are we conveniently forgetting that we, or Scottish teams in general, have been abject failures in Europe for decades, the odd aberration aside ?  We are significantly punching above our weight in Europe - whilst we all want to be successful there it is little more than a bonus.

CL group stages every year would only happen if we get automatic entry - look at Celtic's history in the CL when they were getting the CL riches every year and spending a ton of money on players - they rarely got there.  No reason to not want that for the club, but realism would suggest it is fairly unrealistic. 

Celtic have off field issues which will cost them.
One well documented. 

the other maybe not so prominent just now but bubbling under

Just now, RANGERRAB said:

Celtic have off field issues which will cost them.
One well documented. 

the other maybe not so prominent just now but bubbling under

What is the not so prominent one ?

Just now, RANGERRAB said:

If we paid fees they’re not Bosnans 😋

They actually ARE Bosmans.  Paying a transfer fee is completely different to paying a development fee.  A Bosman is, technically, an out of contract player ("The ruling allowed a player to leave a club on a free transfer as soon as his contract expired").

The fact we paid development fees for both doesnt negate that they were Bosman's.  We didnt pay transfer fees for them, we paid development fees.  Two different things.

16 minutes ago, craig said:

But there are other ways - we sold NP for £16M a player who had played, what 10 games for us? 

Invest in the youth academy and produce 2 or 3 NPs a year and that's close to £50M. 

Have a signing policy (dare I say like Celtics) and buy players cheap and move them on. 

The current board have done well but let's face it, they are being shown up and their limitations are being laid bare. 

If all they can offer is "keeping the lights on" then it's obvious that we need a change.