Europa League Final 2022 - Official Match Thread

12 hours ago, Gribz said:

Not sure if I am actually reading this....But polite GTF.

25 years of service...10 as a First Sergeant taught me one thing...spare no feelings.

Honesty is a brutal sword. 

13 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

'Fraid not.  He'll be gone in the Summer.  

Yeah, he maybe but I'm hoping he stays. As I said, just my opinion and not based on anything "concrete"

Just now, CammyF said:

You do understand we were playing Franfurt in a European Cup final and not Raith Rovers in The Ramsdens Cup Final?

The team can hold their heads high, this season's European run has been phenomenal

Oh yes sir, without a doubt.

As a matter of fact it almost seemed as if we were channeling Raith with that performance. 

The baby is ugly.

I will not lie.

I will never speak of this game again.

It is dead.

You have a great day sir.

12 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

Oh yes sir, without a doubt.

As a matter of fact it almost seemed as if we were channeling Raith with that performance. 

The baby is ugly.

I will not lie.

I will never speak of this game again.

It is dead.

You have a great day sir.

sometimes it's easier to admit the opposition are better than you as was the case last night. No shame in losing a European Cup Final in penalties to Frankfurt - huge shame in losing to Raith in The Ramsdens - they are not comparable 

8 minutes ago, CammyF said:

sometimes it's easier to admit the opposition are better than you as was the case last night. No shame in losing a European Cup Final in penalties to Frankfurt - huge shame in losing to Raith in The Ramsdens - they are not comparable 

No shame at all. However, I don't think Frankfurt were 'better' than us, especially given who we had missing and with players out of position. We also didn't play well and Frankfurt won by the the skin of their teeth. I won't take anything away from this amazing team that made us dream all the way to penalties in a European final and credit to the coaching staff as well.

My regret is that we were let down by bad luck with injuries and a lack of foresight (maybe you can't blame them) by the board and our Sporting Director who thought that it was a good idea to bring in Ramsey for a significant loan fee that would have been better spent on bolstering the squad particularly up front.  This summer's transfer window is now a 'must win' for Wilson, to get the quality to navigate through (2?) CL qualifying rounds and wrestle the title back off that lot. 

There is no reason, with Gio at the helm and some quality additions, we can't dream again next season. 

15 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

No shame at all. However, I don't think Frankfurt were 'better' than us, especially given who we had missing and with players out of position. We also didn't play well and Frankfurt won by the the skin of their teeth. I won't take anything away from this amazing team that made us dream all the way to penalties in a European final and credit to the coaching staff as well.

My regret is that we were let down by bad luck with injuries and a lack of foresight (maybe you can't blame them) by the board and our Sporting Director who thought that it was a good idea to bring in Ramsey for a significant loan fee that would have been better spent on bolstering the squad particularly up front.  This summer's transfer window is now a 'must win' for Wilson, to get the quality to navigate through (2?) CL qualifying rounds and wrestle the title back off that lot. 

There is no reason, with Gio at the helm and some quality additions, we can't dream again next season. 

All about opinions but on the night, I thought Franfurt were the better team. Our goal and only real chance, as Kent's would have been ruled out by VAR as ball had crossed bye-line, came from  Frankfurt mistake. 

They had three or four decent opportunities and Greegs was the far busier keeper. I also thought we were lucky not to concede a penalty when Goldson tripped their forward. Thought it was a stonewaller. 

I said last night, and stick by it, if game was over 2 legs (home and away) I think we beat them. 

Agree 100% regarding injuries, Hagi, Roofe and Alfie were 3 huge losses in Europe. 

The board haven't "gambled" in the last two windows, will be interesting to see what sort of budget Gio gets in the summer. 

1 hour ago, Malangsob said:

25 years of service...10 as a First Sergeant taught me one thing...spare no feelings.

Honesty is a brutal sword. 

If only there was a trace of honesty about it. All your post reeked of was panic.

35 minutes ago, CammyF said:

....... will be interesting to see what sort of budget Gio gets in the summer. 

Less than it would have been had we won last night, obviously.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that many of our players have been punching as far above their weight as the team did in Europe this season. We didn't field a team full of quality players, we fielded a decent team that got to a European final in some measure because of the Ibrox factor.

I've posted several times that our recovery/rebuilding still has a distance to travel. At least I hope to God it has. This isn't the end of the journey back and I expect we will have considerably more success ahead of us. It's not a criticism of anyone but of the players who played last night, I think ten could readily be improved upon, which is another way of saying our lack of trophies so far is mainly just a factor of where we are in this project. 

27 minutes ago, Bill said:

Less than it would have been had we won last night, obviously.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that many of our players have been punching as far above their weight as the team did in Europe this season. We didn't field a team full of quality players, we fielded a decent team that got to a European final in some measure because of the Ibrox factor.

I've posted several times that our recovery/rebuilding still has a distance to travel. At least I hope to God it has. This isn't the end of the journey back and I expect we will have considerably more success ahead of us. It's not a criticism of anyone but of the players who played last night, I think ten could readily be improved upon, which is another way of saying our lack of trophies so far is mainly just a factor of where we are in this project. 

We need Ross Wilson and his team to unearth more Calvin Bassey' s. Bassey' s rise, attitude, fitness and skill shows there are bargains out there. 

All transfers have an element of risk, that risk multiples in the market we are shopping in, so Ross Wilson has his work cut out. 

Can only hope that Gio and his management team have a list of talent from their time in Holland that we can attract and develop. 

3 hours ago, CammyF said:

Can only hope that Gio and his management team have a list of talent from their time in Holland that we can attract and develop. 

I have a feeling GvB and his team will long ago have decided where this team needs strengthened. Surely the way the Rangers brand has been enhanced recently will only help their mission.