Pre-Season 2022/23 Megathread | [FT] Rangers 1 (Colak 24') - 2 Tottenham

Got in last night and I knew the HT score to be 0-0.

By the time I had sorted my stuff out, organised and tuned into the game, I see 3-0 up in the corner of the screen !! 

Can't be bad, some creativity and firepower must have came to the fore. 

Unfortunately for me, I saw what was apparently, our worst 20 minutes (after a raft of subs).

One rapid counter attack apart, we couldn't get out of our own half.

Will be interesting to see the starting line-up against Spurs, as you'd imagine Gio will want to give his preferred XI minutes together, prior to the competitive KO.

• Rousseau changed the title to Pre-Season 2022/23 Megathread | [FT] Rangers 3 (Lawrence 48', Kent 49', Matondo 58') - 1 West Ham

There's probably a time and a place for a 4-3-3 with the workmanlike midfield three (Lundstram, Jack and Kamara), like in Europe or a tough domestic fixture that requires more of a counter-attacking style. 

However, I think we need more creativity in our #8s in a 4-3-3. This could work in the league against the diddy teams, using Hagi, Lowry, Arfield, Tillman, Lawrence etc. as the #8s, giving us more creativity and penetration. 

The 4-2-3-1 gave us more balance. 

There were a couple of moments when McLaughlin and the defenders were a bit ponderous on the ball, which we need to be wary about.  West Ham weren't going full pelt but the Belgians will (probably) be.  

43 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

However, I think we need more creativity in our #8s in a 4-3-3. This could work in the league against the diddy teams, using Hagi, Lowry, Arfield, Tillman, Lawrence etc. as the #8s, giving us more creativity and penetration. 

Agree, and I am very much hoping Tillman will be that creative player. He has said he is an 8 or a 10 so you could see him.playing in front of Kamara and Jack/Lundstram. The issue will be if those three are fit Gio may push Kamara into that position and I don't think he natural there like Tillman hopefully will be. 

I’m hoping Matondo can be our Sterling on the right. I’m very excited to see Tillman playing balls in behind the full backs and Matondo getting to the byline, we've never really had pace like this in the team. 

Edited by DMAA

56 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

There's probably a time and a place for a 4-3-3 with the workmanlike midfield three (Lundstram, Jack and Kamara), like in Europe or a tough domestic fixture that requires more of a counter-attacking style. 

The 4-2-3-1 gave us more balance. 

I was thinking: If we have a back-three formation up our sleeves too (we did last season, and we've signed defenders that can be utilised in a back-three), we're well-set.

And, we've got a manager that can get the best out of tinkering with formations, mid-match. 

Family commitments last night meant I only seen the first half and the last 15mins of the 2nd.

First period we played OK, moved the ball well but struggled to cause any problems in attack as we couldn't get the ball to Colak early enough.  Second half we seemed to move the ball a bit quicker with Matondo and Lawrence providing a bit more quality.

All in all a very good result against a decent EPL outfit but I'm worried with the lack of depth in attack. Colak looks OK at the moment and works hard but we have no-one else should we he pick up a knock.  Apparently Tillman can play as a striker but if Morelos is still two months away and Roofe as unreliable as ever fitness wise then I think we need another number 9.