Champions League Draw | Ajax, Liverpool, Napoli, RANGERS

I think it's a realistic target to finish third.  To qualify from this group would be an achievement of biblical proportions but then again I didn't expect to destroy dortmund or get to another Europa final.   Last time a keeper fumbled in the qualifiers we had a pretty good run that year,  hopefully lightning will strike twice!

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think Liverpool and Napoli walk the group, with us challenging Ajax for 3rd. 

I think that’s likely. PSV were being tipped for the title by some, maybe wrongly, but Ajax only just beat them to the title by 2 points last season, and it remains to be seen whether they have effectively replaced the players they sold. 

14 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

Top of the head stuff.

I have witnessed four Rangers - Ajax Euro games. The very first Super Cup in 1973 was a two legged final. We lost 3-2 in Amsterdam and 1-3 at Ibrox for a 3-6 defeat on aggregate. The third and fourth were Champions League mid-nineties, we lost 4-1 in the Amsterdam Arena and 0-1 at Ibrox.

I have attended two Rangers - Liverpool friendlies lost both 0-2 and 0-4.

I cannot remember any games with Napoli.

Thus, we are buggered. Give us the dosh.

Beat Napoli  5-2 Ibrox friendly 1958.

Liverpool away, thrice

1899 , win 2-0

Later same year, loss 2-3

1924, win 2-0

Overall 10 friendlies against the burglars.

W4, D2, L4

*1924 was billed as unofficial British championship. 

6 games against the cloggies.

4 competitive defeats

1 friendly win  and 1 friendly draw 

52 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think Liverpool and Napoli walk the group, with us challenging Ajax for 3rd. 

Its possible but Liverpool need to get thier heads together. Have started the season very poorly. Mane is a big miss. Nunez not settled. 

Napoli have made a few changes to the playing staff this year, Koulibaily off to Chelsea, Maertens away, Insigne away.. basicially thier three main players over the last few years.

Ajax - will either top the group or prop it up. Big changes again for them this year, new manager. Lost a few key players (hope Man U buy Antony right at the death of the window).

13 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Its possible but Liverpool need to get thier heads together. Have started the season very poorly. Mane is a big miss. Nunez not settled. 

Napoli have made a few changes to the playing staff this year, Koulibaily off to Chelsea, Maertens away, Insigne away.. basicially thier three main players over the last few years.

Ajax - will either top the group or prop it up. Big changes again for them this year, new manager. Lost a few key players (hope Man U buy Antony right at the death of the window).

Koulibaly is a loss, but the aging Mertens and Insigne have not been good for a couple of seasons. They've signed Simeone, Raspadori, and Ndombele; along with adding a Georgian winger for £10m, and making the Anguissa move permanent for £15m. They still have Osimhen and Lozano. They've stated the season well. 

Liverpool will get into gear when their injuries subside. 

I feel Ajax are the most vulnerable of the lot, because they've lost a lot of players. As they do, they've drafted in youngsters. Saying that, their team at the weekend was still pretty good. We'll find them a challenge. 

I don't give us a chance against Liverpool or Napoli, outwith the odd magical night at Ibrox.