I really don't see any case for any more disharmony in the dressing room than there was last year. I just think Gio doesnt have the chops to motivate nor can he get out team playing exciting football. I guess we'll see, the writing is on the wall for him regardless.

17 hours ago, buster. said:

Can we afford not to ?

A significant number of players should be finishing up at Ibrox in the summer. That would be the obvious time to bring someone in, if they didn't fancy coming in immediately #caretaker

A counter argument might say, let Gio bring in his own players. Personally, I don't think he has the personality to command respect in a dressing room.

Yes I think unless we can get someone in of good calibre and have means to back them with transfers then maybe it’s better the devil you know. For now.

I do feel like there is an air of inevitability about all this and that Gio is just seeing off time till a payoff and parting of ways.

We shouldn't need a rebuild costing millions every time a new manager comes in. 

The DoF should oversee the continual renewal of the squad, and the manager comes in to coach them in the desired style, a la Salzburg.

(We can debate whether Wilson is actually achieving this. In terms of refreshing the first team, we're failing with that. Whether or not it's because it's going to take a year or two for the conveyor-belt of players - young signings, like Sands, Matondo, Tillman, Yilmaz etc. - to establish themselves. I'm not sure we'd accept that, though. We need to somehow do both: strengthen the first team, while also signing and allowing these younger players to come through.)

A good coach can coach everyone, anyone to play better as a team. 

I keep saying it: the squad is fine - albeit with certain gaps and issues, etc. - and a better manager will be able to get more out of them. 

They've backed Ange, but I think that will collapse when he goes, like a pack of cards. Clubs can't, in this day and age, keep throwing money at new managers; especially teams in our financial context. If they want to spend another £20m on their next manager, and for every season afterwards, let them. It'll come back to haunt them. 

There needs to be a more holistic approach to squad building. I would hope we're building towards that. 

One of the more obscure stats from the Napoli game was that their players ran almost 8km more than us.

One of the things that has caused the conspiracy nutters across the city to go into apoplexy these last 2 years has been our incredible levels of fitness, stamina and effort. What's happened this season? I don't think despite a different managers pre-season preferences that there's been a collective collapse in our fitness and conditioning department. I think on the whole the players are fit enough, Morelos aside and how that situation developed the way it did is a failure of both player and management. 

Players are simply going through the motions their actions or rather inactions speaking louder than words, and that cannot be allowed to continue and fester.

4 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

The Septic Park performance was a goalkeeping horror show. We failed to deal with the goalkeeper situation during the summer & paid the price 

Ajax were a better team than we’d thought they’d be. Remember they’d won all six of their CL group matches last season. I think they’re on the verge of bringing thro another of their great sides again like the late 1990’s with the de Boers, overmars etc

Goalkeeping horror show yes but that doesn’t excuse the fact our rivals that day were visually running more, looked sharper and more focused. The fact is we looked miles off the pace that day.

We did lose our fitness coach (Milsom, was it?) when SG left. 

However, our fitness was still supreme towards the end of last season: there were a number of games that went to extra-time, and we were none the worse for it - quite the opposite. 

Would that still be the effects of Milsom's regime carrying through, or GvB's guy? 

If it was Milsom's regime, we're now seeing the effects of the change. If it's GvB's guy, then what's changed?

17 hours ago, Rousseau said:

We did lose our fitness coach (Milsom, was it?) when SG left. 

However, our fitness was still supreme towards the end of last season: there were a number of games that went to extra-time, and we were none the worse for it - quite the opposite. 

Would that still be the effects of Milsom's regime carrying through, or GvB's guy? 

If it was Milsom's regime, we're now seeing the effects of the change. If it's GvB's guy, then what's changed?

I don't think it is fitness that is the problem, it is about mentality and attitude.

Best recent example in Scottish football was Celtic under Lennon when they imploded a couple of years ago. Same club, Delia had the same problem with various players not buying into his methods.

Edited by buster.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

I don't think it is fitness that is the problem, it is about mentality and attitude.

Best recent example in Scottish football was Celtic under Lennon when they imploded a couple of years ago. Same club, Delia had the same problem with various players not buying into his methods.

I didn't say it was. 

@forlanssister mentioned how much less we ran against Napoli - Which, considering we had less of the ball, as teams without the ball should be running more, is concerning. 

It was just an observation that we have changed our fitness/conditioning coach.