23 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I didn't say it was. 

@forlanssister mentioned how much less we ran against Napoli - Which, considering we had less of the ball, as teams without the ball should be running more, is concerning. 

It was just an observation that we have changed our fitness/conditioning coach. 

I was only adding my opinion on the apparent lack of effort/application/fitness.

Side note

Losing Calvin Bassey has taken a lot of energy and kilometres out of the team.

What should have been a season of relatively major transition is going to be difficult and the upheaval will drift into 23/24. 

The major downside being the other side of the city is best placed to take advantage of direct CL entry. This would then have the obvious knock on effects.

At a time of FFP introduction, this could set us up for another long period of second place finishes.

The possible way around this would be to make an exceptional managerial appointment.

44 minutes ago, buster. said:

I was only adding my opinion on the apparent lack of effort/application/fitness.

Side note

Losing Calvin Bassey has taken a lot of energy and kilometres out of the team.

What should have been a season of relatively major transition is going to be difficult and the upheaval will drift into 23/24. 

The major downside being the other side of the city is best placed to take advantage of direct CL entry. This would then have the obvious knock on effects.

At a time of FFP introduction, this could set us up for another long period of second place finishes.

The possible way around this would be to make an exceptional managerial appointment.

So much doom and gloom! Have you not read the other thread - we've fixed the roof! :D 

I'm getting bored of repeating myself: I don't think we need a major rebuild, or "transition" and "upheaval", because, as I've said, the squad is fine (albeit with glaring gaps and issues). 

Sort the manager out, and everything else falls into place. 

An "exceptional managerial appointment"? I find this funny. It would only be an "exceptional appointment" because you think we need some miracle to correct all the endless issues that are wrong with the club, which compound year-on-year because we don't get a CL spot. That's a bit extreme...

If you like your football dull and dreich like the Scottish weather then Gio's yor man but I would like to see an all out attacking team instead of all this shuffling the ball sideways and backwards. 

Up and at them for the full game never let up 

13 hours ago, Rousseau said:

So much doom and gloom! Have you not read the other thread - we've fixed the roof! :D 

I'm getting bored of repeating myself: I don't think we need a major rebuild, or "transition" and "upheaval", because, as I've said, the squad is fine (albeit with glaring gaps and issues). 

Sort the manager out, and everything else falls into place. 

An "exceptional managerial appointment"? I find this funny. It would only be an "exceptional appointment" because you think we need some miracle to correct all the endless issues that are wrong with the club, which compound year-on-year because we don't get a CL spot. That's a bit extreme...

I know what you think but I don't think that you grasp the wider picture.

Gerrard was an exceptional managerial appointment in  that his reputation and subsequent force of personality helped turn the club around on various levels.

An exceptional managerial appointment just now or in the near future faces a different situation to SG in 2018 but essentially, needs to have authority and real leadership skills, break up much of this squad, get players in who will suit a more attacking remit (domestic bread and butter), bring average squad age down, incorporate what has to become a well trodden pathway for academy.

No need to tell me you disagree,  I know.

Edited by buster.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/09/2022 at 10:41, Rousseau said:

My managerial wish list would include: De Zerbi, Marco Rose, Sampaoli, Bielsa, and Adi Hutter.

All free agents. :D 

Sampaoli appointed Sevilla manager.

My free agents wish list is disappearing!