East Fife v Rangers 1986/87

For the Rangers fans of my generation, our League Cup tie against East Fife in 1986 was the first opportunity to visit Old Bayview. The game attracted over 10,000 fans who were shoehorned into the little ground in Methil. What I can remember from this game was that it was early in the Souness era and we went into the game on the back of an inconsistent start to the season, but we were odds-on to defeat the Methil Men. At the time, I was working beside an East Fife player - Stuart Burgess ââ?¬â?? who went on to play in the SPL for Falkirk ââ?¬â?? If I remember correctly, Burgess inflicted a serious injury on Colin West during the game after a horrific challenge and was on the receiving end of ââ?¬Ë?retributionââ?¬â?¢ from Terry Butcher.

The game finished 0-0 after extra time and Rangers escaped with a victory after a tense penalty shoot-out (which was won 5-4). I am sure that we also missed a penalty in normal time, but that could be my mind playing tricks on me! The game wasn�t memorable for any reason, other than it was my first visit to Bayview. So what can the Rangers of 2007 take from the above game? Well, not to underestimate the opposition and not to take victory for granted. Also, it is worth noting that the League Cup campaign gave Souness his first trophy after we defeated Craptic 2-1 in the final. That victory gave is a springboard in the league as well.

East Fifeââ?¬â?¢s greatest times were in the late 40ââ?¬â?¢s when they were managed by the great Scott Symon who guided the Fife club to ââ?¬Ë?Bââ?¬â?¢ championship and league cup glory. Further success was gained in the next decade including one season where East Fife led the first division championship race for almost the entire season, only to be pipped for the title by Rangers. For further information (itââ?¬â?¢s a decent read) can be gained from East Fifeââ?¬â?¢s official website - http://www.eastfife.org/details.asp?type=history6

Wunderbar

What can I say about the marvellous start to our latest Champions League adventure? After a very nervous start, we came onto a game and in the 2nd half played some wonderful football. On a night like that, it is hard to pick out players for ââ?¬Ë?special praiseââ?¬â?¢ as the entire team were fantastic. However, the Stuttgart game demonstrated just how much we need Barry Ferguson and once again, BF shows us that he is one of the best midfield players this country has produced in the last 2 decades. His drive, desire, leadership qualities were there for all to see. In my opinion that was Fergusonââ?¬â?¢s best game in a Rangers jersey since he ran the entire Bayern Leverkusen a merry jig in the BayArena.

Some people have questioned (rightly or wrongly) why Barry Ferguson hasn�t performed to this level since his return from Blackburn. In my opinion, this is the first time since his return that he has actually had players alongside him who complement his game. When Walter Smith returned he knew that his first priority was to fix the defence that had more leaks than a very leaky thing. His second was to ensure that he could surround our best footballer with players who complemented his style. In players like Thompson, Hendami, Thomson, SW and Lee McCulloch, Ferguson has players who, like him, have desire, drive, determination as well as undoubted ability. Hopefully this will see Barry Ferguson return to his best.

After going a goal behind, the response from the players was phenomenal. Instead of letting the heads drop, we just rolled up our sleeves, pushed forward and eventually got our just reward. Charlie Adam�s goal brilliant but we can not go any further without a special mention to Alan Hutton for his storming runs for both goals. JCB was coolness personified as he blasted home the penalty.

Dolly Demolished

So Saturday was the latest instalment of the most one-sided rivalry in World Football. With the visitors firmly stuck in the 80ââ?¬â?¢s when they were a ââ?¬Ë?forceââ?¬â?¢ for about 25 minutes, they still believe that they are a ââ?¬Ë?rivalââ?¬â?¢ to the most successful club in the world. Meanwhile, we the Rangers fans treat them for what they are, a minor irritation from the frozen North. To illustrate to any reading Dollies how ridiculous there claims of a ââ?¬Ë?rivalryââ?¬â?¢ are lets sing a wee song ââ?¬â?? to the tune of One Man Went To Mow :

1 Year Since You Won, Since You Won At Ibrox

2 Years Since You Won, Since You Won At Ibrox

3 Years Since You Won, Since You Won At Ibrox

4 Years Since You Won, Since You Won At Ibrox

5 Years Since You Won, Since You Won At Ibrox

6 Years Since You Won, Since You Won At Ibrox

7 Years Since You Won, Since You Won At Ibrox

8 Years Since You Won, Since You Won At Ibrox

9 Years Since You Won, Since You Won At Ibrox

10 Years Since You Won, Since You Won At Ibrox

11 Years Since You Won, Since You Won At Ibrox

12 Years Since You Won, Since You Won At Ibrox

13 Years Since You Won, Since You Won At Ibrox

14 Years Since You Won, Since You Won At Ibrox

15 Years Since You Won, Since You Won At Ibrox

16 Years Since You Won, Since You Won At Ibrox

The latest thumping of Abergreen was never in doubt after Lee McCullochââ?¬â?¢s stunning opener which seemed to spur us on to yet another fantastic 2nd half performance. SN then killed the game with his first goal for us which was brilliantly taken. His full debut was rudely cut short by a dreadful tackle by the ââ?¬Ë?hate-filledââ?¬â?¢ Zander Diamond. SNââ?¬â?¢s replacement Kris Boyd scored a good 3rd goal which was just the icing on the cake. One last question for any Dollies that have made it this far ââ?¬â?? when you sing ââ?¬Ë?Weââ?¬â?¢re Only Sheep Shagging Barstewardsââ?¬â?¢ ââ?¬â?? what part of that statement makes it acceptable and something to shout about?

Artur Boric

Surely I wasnââ?¬â?¢t the only one who had a wee chuckle at the best keeper in Europe (cough, splutter) gifting the Hibees two goals and 3 points on Sunday? Anyway, this isnââ?¬â?¢t a critique of his abilities, but to look at his indiscretions towards the Hibs fans. As well as giving them the finger, he celebrated both Craptic goals in an ââ?¬Ë?unsavouryââ?¬â?¢ manner. Add this to the FACT that he has already been warned by the Police after gesticulating at us (any MOPES reading it wasnââ?¬â?¢t for blessing himself) surely something has to be done?

Never mind Artur, I am sure that you�ll once again find yourself in a park miles from you�re home where a pregnant woman will be getting racially abused by a mysterous gang of racist thugs and you�ll be the hero once again.

Cammy F ââ?¬â?? We Are The Peopleââ?¬Â¦.

One of the columns that made GersNet's name in the past was the 'CammyF Rant'. The big man hasn't been online as much in recent times (did he actually get a life?) but we're glad to announce that he's back! Informative, interesting and occasionally a wee bit controversial; it's the return of the CammyF Rant!

http://www.gersnetonline.net/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=501&Itemid=1

Will be on NewsNow shortly!

For what it's worth Boruc really is an embarrassment.

Celtc fans seem somehow proud of his childish attitude but if our goalie was dancing about like some Kestrel drinking Graham Norton stalker, I'd like to think our manager would have a quiet word in his ear.

Not to mention his continual unacceptable gesticulations which seem acceptable to both the footballing and policing authorities.

There's no doubt Boruc is a decent goalie (Saturday's mistakes notwithstanding) but I'd go so far to suggest his daft antics are maybe the reason a bigger club hasn't made a move for his services.

After all we all like a bit of banter but if a player is to really make the most of their careers, they should be above continual hand signals usually seen in primary school playgrounds.

For what it's worth Boruc really is an embarrassment.

Celtc fans seem somehow proud of his childish attitude but if our goalie was dancing about like some Kestrel drinking Graham Norton stalker, I'd like to think our manager would have a quiet word in his ear.

Not to mention his continual unacceptable gesticulations which seem acceptable to both the footballing and policing authorities.

There's no doubt Boruc is a decent goalie (Saturday's mistakes notwithstanding) but I'd go so far to suggest his daft antics are maybe the reason a bigger club hasn't made a move for his services.

After all we all like a bit of banter but if a player is to really make the most of their careers, they should be above continual hand signals usually seen in primary school playgrounds.

I actually agree with the arguement that if fans dish it out we should take it back. However that's not the world that we live in. Any footballer "inciting a riot" or gesticulating at fans in this manner is normally dealt with severely. My arguement is not of the mock offence of a bitter Rangers fan but that of parity. Any other footballer would have been punished for these repeated antics so why not Boruc? Is it because he's a Celtic player or a Catholic? I'm not saying it is, but the refusal to act is both baffling and interesting.

Edit: I had my say about Caldwell in another thread and his actions were, although less dignified, less "offensive".:confused: :confused:

lets sing a wee song ââ?¬â?? to the tune of One Man Went To Mow :

Great song!!

Ive been singing this tune a lot lately with West Hams words of

1 man couldnt carry, couldnt carry Lampard, 1 man and his fork lift truck couldnt carry Lampard........

Now Ive got a Gers version for the Sheep :)

One of the columns that made GersNet's name in the past was the 'CammyF Rant'. The big man hasn't been online as much in recent times (did he actually get a life?) but we're glad to announce that he's back! Informative, interesting and occasionally a wee bit controversial; it's the return of the CammyF Rant!

http://www.gersnetonline.net/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=501&Itemid=1

Will be on NewsNow shortly!

Didn't get a life - actually having to work for a living these days :)

Thanks for the kind words tho :devil:

Cammy F

Dolly Demolished

So Saturday was the latest instalment of the most one-sided rivalry in World Football. With the visitors firmly stuck in the 80ââ?¬â?¢s when they were a ââ?¬Ë?forceââ?¬â?¢ for about 25 minutes, they still believe that they are a ââ?¬Ë?rivalââ?¬â?¢ to the most successful club in the world. Meanwhile, we the Rangers fans treat them for what they are, a minor irritation from the frozen North. To illustrate to any reading Dollies how ridiculous there claims of a ââ?¬Ë?rivalryââ?¬â?¢ are lets sing a wee song ââ?¬â?? to the tune of One Man Went To Mow :

The latest thumping of Abergreen was never in doubt after Lee McCullochââ?¬â?¢s stunning opener which seemed to spur us on to yet another fantastic 2nd half performance. SN then killed the game with his first goal for us which was brilliantly taken. His full debut was rudely cut short by a dreadful tackle by the ââ?¬Ë?hate-filledââ?¬â?¢ Zander Diamond. SNââ?¬â?¢s replacement Kris Boyd scored a good 3rd goal which was just the icing on the cake. One last question for any Dollies that have made it this far ââ?¬â?? when you sing ââ?¬Ë?Weââ?¬â?¢re Only Sheep Shagging Barstewardsââ?¬â?¢ ââ?¬â?? what part of that statement makes it acceptable and something to shout about?

That song was hilarious. Song of the season so far in my book. I was sat right next to the sheep shaggers and they were fizzing when they heard the above song. I also couldn't understand why they were bragging about being sheep shaggers!!! Maybe they just enjoy doing it. Maybe it's as simple as that.

Another thing I couldn't understand about the sheep was when the drummer would bang his drum and the Rangers fans would shout "Rangers" at the end of the drum banging bit but so would the red scum. Weird?!?!?