The Football Operation at Rangers is a Mess

Player Acquisition-

I agree, recruiting has been suspect...for a while. 

Historical research is key to asset acquisition.  

Would you buy a home with a history of foundation issues?

A car with a history of maintenance issues?

Players are no different, and we have failed as a club in that respect.

Every single player on our squad with injury issues has had a history of them. 

Especially players like Souttar...I mean...really?

The guy blew his ACL out twice...and he is like 22.

Epic fail.

Management-

Gio is not a strong personality, however that EL run last year showed he has tactical acumen.

I think it boils down to this, Gio is a manager, not a leader.

Successful teams need both.

Tacticians are a dime a dozen, leaders, are not.

All said, if he keeps it together in the league, his job is safe. 

He drops another point...that fat lady is gonna be warmin up. 

15 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Were you at the match on Wednesday?

£55 to watch us get absolutely humiliated.  'Mortifying' is the best word I can think of to describe how it felt.  

No I was not.

I did not force you to pay £55.

The result was not really a surprise considering the opposition, nevermind 'Mortifying'.

The rection is a surprise considering our current CL form & our current resources.

31 minutes ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

The result was not really a surprise considering the opposition, nevermind 'Mortifying'.

Must be nice to be able to laugh about it all, sitting in an armchair.  

Worst ever European result at Ibrox and one of the biggest hidings in our 150 year history isn't surprising or mortifying - low standards for a Rangers man.  

36 minutes ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

No I was not.

The rection is a surprise considering our current CL form & our current resources.

Of course, the harsh nature of the scoreline was a surprise.

The reaction, like Ajax, generally takes into account the gulf but rightly doesn't like it when we seem to be folding without much of a fight.

7 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Dry your eyes and stop throwing your toys out the pram, buster.  

Cannae promise you, I like a good analytical moan.

Edit

Not forgetting a regular bit of trumpet blowing.

Edited by buster.

I'm probably in a minority in thinking Ross Wilson is doing a decent enough job over all.

However we probably lost the league last season because we signed to many players who simply weren't ready to play when they signed Ramsay being the prime example while across the city they signed players who were fit and ready to play (the Japanese contingent etc) and yes you can perfectly reasonably attach blame to Wilson for that. Also we need to note the difference between projects i.e Tillman and the finished article Colak while you can argue Tillman may have long term value to us (should a permanent deal arise) there's little doubt Colak's current value to us is many,many times that of Tillman's even if at his age any sell on value will be minimal. Perhaps a better balance between those 2 categories needs to be found 

I really think we have a decent of squad size wise and quality wise, certainly good enough to win the SPFL and have a decent crack at the EL, however much it hurts we really have to admit we're simply not currently good enough for the CL no matter how sore that is to accept. Everyone points to Club Brugge but seem to forget they took their fair share of hidings for a number of years before finding their feet.

I certainly think questions need to asked on the medical side not only in regards to the unusually high number of injuries but also why the recovery times seem to be so long.

We certainly don't appear to be as fit as previous seasons but I'm at a loss at the reason for that if it is indeed the case. I can only put that down to application or perhaps a change in brand of coffee at Auchenhowie. 

I'll refrain from making a managerial comment there's plenty other threads for that snd don'twish to derail this one.

31 minutes ago, forlanssister said:

I'm probably in a minority in thinking Ross Wilson is doing a decent enough job over all.

However we probably lost the league last season because we signed to many players who simply weren't ready to play when they signed Ramsay being the prime example while across the city they signed players who were fit and ready to play (the Japanese contingent etc) and yes you can perfectly reasonably attach blame to Wilson for that. Also we need to note the difference between projects i.e Tillman and the finished article Colak while you can argue Tillman may have long term value to us (should a permanent deal arise) there's little doubt Colak's current value to us is many,many times that of Tillman's even if at his age any sell on value will be minimal. Perhaps a better balance between those 2 categories needs to be found 

I really think we have a decent of squad size wise and quality wise, certainly good enough to win the SPFL and have a decent crack at the EL, however much it hurts we really have to admit we're simply not currently good enough for the CL no matter how sore that is to accept. Everyone points to Club Brugge but seem to forget they took their fair share of hidings for a number of years before finding their feet.

I certainly think questions need to asked on the medical side not only in regards to the unusually high number of injuries but also why the recovery times seem to be so long.

We certainly don't appear to be as fit as previous seasons but I'm at a loss at the reason for that if it is indeed the case. I can only put that down to application or perhaps a change in brand of coffee at Auchenhowie. 

I'll refrain from making a managerial comment there's plenty other threads for that snd don'twish to derail this one.

I’m of the opposite opinion. I think Ross Wilson is simply not cutting it here.

I’ve always been someone with a cynical view of a DoF. Do they have too much say when signing players? Do they sign players without the managers consent ? Do they research players backgrounds enough? 

Some of signings this year have been horrendous. With one injury prone CB (Helander) on our books we go and sign another-Souttar. Didn’t take long before the inevitable happened did it? Whose decision was it to sign Souttar ?? Not only did we sign Souttar but we let a perfectly good CB( Katic) leave for a modest fee to FC Zurich where I’m led to believe he’s doing well. Now Goldson’s out for months we’re really struggling at CB.

(I won’t mention the Ramsey signing or diallo loan. Least said the better) 
Then there’s the Ridvan signing. He may well go on & become a great signing but for us to pay out the high transfer fee(by our standards) & have him benched makes no sense to me and is not good business.

But for me there are two main issues regards our DoF:-

1) why do we continue to sign so many players with a bad injury history ?

Helander,Roofe & now Souttar to name 3.

2) why have we got a situation where we have so many key players out of contract at the end of the season? To me that’s bad planning. Kent,Morelos, Jack, Arfield, Helander,McGregor all out of contract. Presumably they’ll all need replaced but will there be resources to do so?

Not saying it’s all Wilson fault but questions now need asked about his role & its influence in my view

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

I’m of the opposite opinion. I think Ross Wilson is simply not cutting it here.

I’ve always been someone with a cynical view of a DoF. Do they have too much say when signing players? Do they sign players without the managers consent ? Do they research players backgrounds enough? 

Name the last team to win anything of note without a Director of Football, Sporting Director or whatever label you want to put on it. I doubt we'll change from that now as it would be a backward step.