it's a strange one to some extent. As Bill pointed out he has never lost to anyone other than Celtc in the league. He has won every domestic cup game played. He made the EL final and the CL group stages. 

he also has 3 defeats and a draw against Celtc no wins. 

Ultimately the issue is how far players have regressed under him. 

Performances are god awful 

The lack of Investment after 55 has cost us dear.  The warning signs were laid out bare after the malmo dibacle last season.   There should have been a clearout then but we're still running with that squad now  for the most part.  Even worse were giving them new contracts.  The board dropped the ball big time.   As for our manager, hes lost the fans with pitiful displays week in week out.  That we can be so poor and still be second in the league is testament to the quality  of the league. The humiliating displays against the east end scum and the capitulation in the CL are more than enough for me.  The manner in which we lose is too much to bare for most fans and the majority  have had enough.  The one thing over all that annoys me with our manager is that he never accepts responsibility.  That buck is always passed on to the players .   We're a lame duck and as long as gios manager I just don't see him turning him around. He has to go.

9 hours ago, CammyF said:

2 points off the leaders after 10 games, qualification to CL secured and now into semi-final of the League Cup. Have we sacked a manager previously who could claim the above?

We often say that player wise, you build from a position of strength, but with managers it's the opposite.

Gio has the look and sound of a beaten man, but what are the alternatives?

Would any other manager be able to get any better out of an aging, out of form and injury ravaged squad? 

We missed the boat after 55 and appear to be unable to release the funds required to add genuine quality to the squad and changing manager won't solve that issue.

I have to agree. As long as we stay within touching distance with the tims up until the WC break, we won't be changing managers.  

10 hours ago, CammyF said:

Would any other manager be able to get any better out of an aging, out of form and injury ravaged squad? 

It's not that old. It's skewed by two players around 40. 

A team out of form is GvB's fault. 

The injury record is partly chance, but it's also down to the fitness/conditioning coaches. 

In short, I maintain that another manager would be able to get more out of this team. 

10 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

It's not that old. It's skewed by two players around 40. 

A team out of form is his fault. 

The injury record is partly chance, but it's also down to the fitness/conditioning coaches. 

In short, I maintain that another manager would be able to get more out of this team. 

With regards to injuries, Jack, Roofe, Helander and Souttar all had pretty poor injury records prior to joining Rangers.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

Gio record doesn’t tell the whole story. He doesn’t have what it takes in the league. I think we are looking at handing them another title and free access to the Champions League. Many of us had worries about his track record and although at times he has proved us wrong, he generally hasn’t. The football we play is every bit as dull and predictable as it was at Feyenoord. We should be speaking to guys with a good track record who are looking to take the next step like Knutsen. 

Edited by DMAA

A thing that baffles me with both SG and Gio: they have brought along a staff of assistants, fitness and tactic guys, even a striker of the caliber of Makaay. Yet, we hardly see any sort of influx of their work or ideas - if any. You would have assumed that by now Gio and Co. e.g. would have noted the way how Scottish teams line up against us, yet we see the same tactics time and again, with hardly any deviation from the failed system. Granted, we have injury issues, with Lawrence, Roofe, Hagi, Helander and Morelos being the most significant. But despite all the talent still at his hands, Gios sides often are blunt weapons against brick walls. Even a blind guy on a dead horse would have spotted that by now. Yet, we do nothing.

EDIT: Gio won't go because of an early European exit. Every sane mind will see the gulf in class between the CL teams and us, and I mean  the real CL teams like in our group, not the Bobo, Zagreb or Kopenhagen teams in weaker groups. We accomplished our monetary mission for this season and getting more freedom for the cups and the leagues may still lead to 56 come May.

Edited by der Berliner