[FT] Rangers 1 (Tavernier 87' pen) - 3 Ajax

10 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

in the modern game with full backs piling forward and zonal stuff?

When a team is in possession, they move into their offensive shape then pass the ball around. 

When a team is without the ball, everyone needs to press and harry to win the ball back.  

Simplistic, but...

Last night was the coup de gras in a group where we stood no chance from the outset,and as the squad got decimated by injuries and a suspension not much option was left in the tean selection.

We now have to use the fact that we now have less games to get our squad back up and the manager/board have to do some hard talking to find out why some of the team have capitulated,be it a disenterest from the players towards the manager or wether his coaching team do not have the quality.

The board also have to come clean on the situation of Helander/Roofe/Soutar on their seemingly permanent injury status.

Sunday should see wether or not the players have a positive reaction and hopefully restore some pride.

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

If we can't afford to sack the manager then we're in for some depressing times.  

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, if he loses the next 5 on the bounce, he'll be gone. So it's not all about (a lack of) money. 

Is that likely? No.

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

When a team is in possession, they move into their offensive shape then pass the ball around. 

When a team is without the ball, everyone needs to press and harry to win the ball back.  

Simplistic, but...

As i say it's so marginal it could be covered by corners.

I think the idea the team without the ball runs more is old fashioned these days. the ball does the work the same. 

Team's pass and move. they overlap etc etc 

3 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

As i say it's so marginal it could be covered by corners.

I think the idea the team without the ball runs more is old fashioned these days. the ball does the work the same. 

Team's pass and move. they overlap etc etc 

'The arrival of Johan Cruyff as FC Barcelona’s coach in 1988 caused a revolution in the way the game is understood and footballers are trained. One of his best-remembered comments was that: “All coaches talk about movement, about running a lot. I don’t think players need to run that much. Football is a game that’s played with the brain. You have to be in the right place at the right time, not too early and not too late”. His focus on possession of the ball and the use of space and superiority in numbers reduced the importance of physical performance in the game. In another quote, he noted: “My forwards should only run 15 metres”.

Scientific research seems to prove him right. A recent publication analysed how ball possession influences physical performance in high-level players. The study, published in Science and Medicine in Football in 2020, was based on an analysis of the 380 games played in the Spanish LaLiga in the 2018-2019 season.

The results suggest some remarkable conclusions:

When the specific position is not taken into account, players in teams with very high possession of the ball cover significantly less distance than the players in teams with low possession of the ball. Having a lot of the ball reduces the distance covered by footballers.'

12 hours ago, rbr said:

But you should expect the team to at least compete , not stand off and admire the opposition .

You can expect all you like but if they’re not up to the job then you will always be disappointed ... and they’re clearly not.

31 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

'The arrival of Johan Cruyff as FC Barcelona’s coach in 1988 caused a revolution in the way the game is understood and footballers are trained. One of his best-remembered comments was that: “All coaches talk about movement, about running a lot. I don’t think players need to run that much. Football is a game that’s played with the brain. You have to be in the right place at the right time, not too early and not too late”. His focus on possession of the ball and the use of space and superiority in numbers reduced the importance of physical performance in the game. In another quote, he noted: “My forwards should only run 15 metres”.

Scientific research seems to prove him right. A recent publication analysed how ball possession influences physical performance in high-level players. The study, published in Science and Medicine in Football in 2020, was based on an analysis of the 380 games played in the Spanish LaLiga in the 2018-2019 season.

The results suggest some remarkable conclusions:

When the specific position is not taken into account, players in teams with very high possession of the ball cover significantly less distance than the players in teams with low possession of the ball. Having a lot of the ball reduces the distance covered by footballers.'

Premier League running stats this season revealed | Football News | Sky Sports

While there isn't a huge amount in it those stats back up what you say. 

we sure as hell do not press enough and certainly not consistently enough.