Gio isn’t the root of the problem

2 minutes ago, ascender said:

I guess for the board, they'll point to the success on the pitch and off it last season to say they did their job and did it will. I think every supporter I know was willing to take second place in the league for a chance at the Europa League final for example.

As a one off, completely agree. Europa was a most welcome relief to a sorry title defence. Sadly the equation looks more like 2,3,4 seasons written off if things don't change fast. 

It is telling (and baffling) that Gerrard and Gio haven't made bigger changes at the end of seasons where it seemed like the core of the squad were finished. Not sure how to explain that when we have also been spending money.

It's a puzzle. The amount of horsings we've taken this season has to see some go. 

3 hours ago, Rick Roberts said:

As a one off, completely agree. Europa was a most welcome relief to a sorry title defence. Sadly the equation looks more like 2,3,4 seasons written off if things don't change fast. 

It's a puzzle. The amount of horsings we've taken this season has to see some go. 

Well, you have to stay on the objective side of things. We were hammered by a decent Yahoo side on a day that many switched off. The defeats against the CL teams may be hard to take, but hey, these teams were and are head and shoulders above us, even IF we had a fully fit squad.

For the best part of the season, we've been down to playing at least one fourth or fifth choice centre-half, at times even both. King and Sands played in almost all our CL group games ... against 50+ million people. So please, let reason set in.

In general, it is hard to remember a season when we have been ravaged by injury to so many important players at a time. If fit, Helander, Davies, Lawrence, Roofe and Hagi would all be in my starting line-up. Probably even Ridvan. Goldson and Lowry add to that, and IMHO Morelos hasn't looked the same after his injury and has failed to grab any chance given to him since Colak signing that he is capable (and/or willing) to remove the Croat from his starting slot. That said, I'd play 2 strikers or real attacking players anyway. Since we have seen that one striker alone does not yield enough countable results. If he's in the mood (and one has to get back a few months/years here - in terms of league business), Kent is a mean beast on that flank. Yet, far too often - given that he knows he's an auto-pick for the starting XI - he's just not delivering. Hence, put him on the wing, but play one more real striker in that left striker slot. That the right flank remains a project doesn't help either, and you have to ask the manager why he has been shoe-horning player in and out there all season. BTW, SG did that with Hagi too.

In essence, no matter what happens to Gio, we need to get our players fit and finally start utilizing them in their correct or most productive position, AS WELL AS adopting tactics and line-ups for the task at hand.

I'd agree wholeheartedly with that, tactically some of his stuff last season in the EL against some bloody good teams was a joy.

He just doesn't look like he inspires when we need something else though, when the sleeves need rolled up, or when we face 10 behind the ball.

The difference in the CL isn't that we're up against hugely better sides IMO, it's that our confidence is gone, completely. And injuries, natch.

7 hours ago, Frankie said:

Excellent article. Changing manager right now when we are so loaded down with crap players who need replacing is crazy imo. I have said before Pep or Klopp could not do better than Gio with our broken squad and I still believe that🔴🔵 Gio :nshappy: 

2 hours ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

Excellent article. Changing manager right now when we are so loaded down with crap players who need replacing is crazy imo. I have said before Pep or Klopp could not do better than Gio with our broken squad and I still believe that🔴🔵 Gio :nshappy: 

Who broke them - because last I looked they were contesting a European final.

The board are the main players here.   I certainly don't hold gio solely accountable.   Poor decision making when it comes to our squad has left us high and dry.   As for Gio... as a manager he just does not learn by his mistakes.   To go to the scum dome and get humiliated,  continue with the same tactics the next visit and get humiated again was too much for me.  This job is too big for him.   Other than a couple of performances in the Europa league we have been consistently poor over the last 12 months.   He has no grasp on scottish football and never will.  When he does go others should go with him.   From a position of sheer strength in the summer we are now a laughing stock.   And what are we doing?  Sitting in silence.    I thank the board for backing the club in our time of need but don't forget to take the fans into account.   They have ploughed millions into the club as well.     The board seem to have adopted the same plan as liewell did at paedo city,  profit over performance, and we seen what happened with that