The Winter 2022/23 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

1 hour ago, craig said:

Disagree.  When used properly the "inverted winger" stuff works very well indeed, better than just getting past a player and sending a ball in.

With the inverted winger model you have a full back who gets into the space on the wing and then sends a cross in - but he also has the option of passing inside to the inverted winger who has played him the ball and then cut inside - plus, the inverted winger now also can be an additional body in the box for any cross or second ball.

When were "our inverted wingers" used properly then? In Europe maybe. At home it doesn't work well and even if, you need players capable of doing that. We have players who can send in numerous flanks and crosses and have not that many players in the box who can convert, bar the one striker (who hopefully is on form). SG and Gio just like MB uses Tav and Borna as wingbacks with a tendency to act as wingers against most, deep sitting teams. Yet all of them stuck to one striker and a lot of players that would hopefully pop up with a goal or two. See to what this lead us these last half-decade in our leagues and cups. So we a lot of nominal left wingers, right wingers, roving attackers and essentially but 3 capable strikers whom we rotate in and out, though all three of them being out with injury or of form didn't help. Then again, even if fit, we hardly ever used two strikers. Only of late, the genius masterstroke of playing a striker like Sakala in that left "inverted winger" / right-sided attacker slot yielded the result required, i.e. goals and assists that certain other attackers dream of. That, and the signing of Tillman, who provides cleverness and creative spark coupled with the will and ability to shoot at goal. 

Only when I see that "double-6" or whatever one wants to call it with two CMs/DMs is binned I'll agree that things might turn to the better. We've become far to stale and predictable for ages ...

Best right winger: Mrs Thatcher was never registered as a player so the nominations are Waddell, Scott and Henderson and the winner is Wullie.

Best outside left: Nominations are Hubbard, Wilson and Johnston and the winner is Davy

8 hours ago, der Berliner said:

When were "our inverted wingers" used properly then? In Europe maybe. At home it doesn't work well and even if, you need players capable of doing that. We have players who can send in numerous flanks and crosses and have not that many players in the box who can convert, bar the one striker (who hopefully is on form). SG and Gio just like MB uses Tav and Borna as wingbacks with a tendency to act as wingers against most, deep sitting teams. Yet all of them stuck to one striker and a lot of players that would hopefully pop up with a goal or two. See to what this lead us these last half-decade in our leagues and cups. So we a lot of nominal left wingers, right wingers, roving attackers and essentially but 3 capable strikers whom we rotate in and out, though all three of them being out with injury or of form didn't help. Then again, even if fit, we hardly ever used two strikers. Only of late, the genius masterstroke of playing a striker like Sakala in that left "inverted winger" / right-sided attacker slot yielded the result required, i.e. goals and assists that certain other attackers dream of. That, and the signing of Tillman, who provides cleverness and creative spark coupled with the will and ability to shoot at goal. 

Only when I see that "double-6" or whatever one wants to call it with two CMs/DMs is binned I'll agree that things might turn to the better. We've become far to stale and predictable for ages ...

Read the part where I said "when used properly" :D - At no point did I say we used them properly.  For used properly look at the likes of, oh I dont know.... Bayern Munich with Robben and Ribery or.... closer to home.... Arsenal this season with Saka and Martinelli.  Both those teams are using them properly - and, know what, they only play(ed) with one striker too.

Ours works though not as often as we like.  In terms of when did we use them properly - how about last week at Rugby Park ?  Sakala playing right wing, plays ball across goal for Morelos to score..... Kent gets down the left hand side, plays (poor) ball across box, ball from Morelos ends up back at Kent who cuts in on his favoured right foot and scores near post..... or how about Borna getting down the outside, standing the ball up to the middle where Morelos then scores with the header ?  Or does that not count as working ? ;)

12 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Not buying Tillman isn't on the agenda for me.  

You can only do so much with your budget.

Tillman has shown up well but lets see if he can improve on it in the next few months. We could do with seeing him making the difference in an Old Firm match.

According to the manager, he sees the the players he is bringing in as first team starters.

He also says he wants two players challenging for every jersey.

We will soon see how Tillman and Cantwell fit in.

If Lowry gets more opportunities and does stuff to merit more.

A little later, how Hagi fits in. 

Only time will tell (unless minds are already made up)