'Keep Ryan Kent, but Rangers would be CRAZY to even consider a new contract for Alfredo Morelos', says Kris Boyd

RANGERS once turned down mega-money for Alfredo Morelos. Now I’m not sure they could give him away.

That’s why Chairman Douglas Park was 100 per cent bang on to tell shareholders at the AGM he won’t be held to ransom by the Colombian.

Some supporters want to see Morelos sign a new deal to prevent him for leaving when his deal runs out at the end of the season.

I’m sorry, but my old club would be absolutely crazy to even consider it.

I’ve cut Morelos enough slack down the years and sang his praises.
But those days are long gone.

Morelos’ attitude in a Rangers shirt lately just hasn’t been befitting that jersey and he’s made it quite clear his future lies elsewhere.

The only question is whether he goes next month or at the end of the season.

Truth be told, I wouldn’t be surprised if Michael Beale wants to keep him for the next six months.

The new Ibrox boss knows Morelos from his time working with Steven Gerrard, he’s seen the best of him.

If Morelos gives any indication whatsoever that he could score ten goals between now and next May then Beale may think it’s worth keeping him as part of his squad.

Morelos has virtually no market value so it’s not like he could be sold for decent money now.

The fee Rangers would get probably wouldn’t pay the Ibrox electricity bill.

And, genuinely, I seriously wonder if Rangers would be able to find a club willing to pay a few hundred grand for Morelos to take him off their hands.

But long-term? After this season?

The people in charge at Rangers would be stark raving mad to hand Morelos a new contract.

The player terrorising defenders a few years ago just doesn’t exist any more. He’s gone. History.

I’ve just had enough of Morelos for the way he’s trying to pull the wool over everyone’e eyes.

I used to love the moody way he went up against centre-backs and couldn’t care less what anyone thought about him.

Now he’s moody because he’s struggling with his own game.

It’s actually quite sad to see because he’s shown how much of a handful he can be and is still only 26.

But he’s not going to knuckle down and there should be no way he’s given a new contract.

Rangers chairman Park suggested he wouldn’t be held to ransom by Morelos at the club’s AGM at the start of the week.

But he mentioned him in the same breath as Ryan Kent and for me the two situations are very different.

Don’t get me wrong, Kent hasn’t been himself this season. His form has dipped off the charts.

But it’s not down to poor attitude. It’s nothing to do with his professionalism.

It just seems that his confidence has fallen off a cliff and he’s struggled as a consequence — along with the team.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Kent ends up signing a a new deal late in the day, like Connor Goldson did last season.

It looked certain the defender was on his way out of the club when his contract was running down.

But Goldson ended up agreeing a new deal and I can see the same thing happening with Kent.

I don’t think anyone can blame him for holding off and keeping his options open.

He may not be playing his best football right now but I think everyone can see he has ability.

The question he should be asking himself is whether he can do any better than Rangers.

Financially I’m sure he could probably get a bigger payday by going back down to England.

There will be top end Championship clubs willing to pay him the money he’s getting right now. Premier League managers might fancy him to beef up their squads.

But is that really what Kent wants?

Being a fringe player when he’s been used to playing regular football every week?

Is he prepared to turn his back on 50,000 crowds at Ibrox and the potential for trophies and European football just for a few extra quid in his pocket.

And it’s not like he’d be getting paid a pittance.

No, Kent should think long and hard about his next move because what he has at Rangers isn’t replicated everywhere else.

Even now, with his form slumped, the winger is idolised by the majority of supporters who think the sun shines out of his shorts.

So I genuinely expect that to dawn on him in the coming weeks and months and see him sign a new contract.

That said, it would give Rangers a decision to make if a club did come in during the January transfer window and chance their arm getting him.

I just think they would be better off rejecting any cheeky offers and continue to negotiate with Kent between now and the end of the season.

But not Morelos.

The Colombian should be getting told right now that he’s got six months left at the club — and he should consider himself lucky he’s even got that.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/9898598/keep-kent-rangers-crazy-contract-alfredo-morelos-kris-boyd/

• Rousseau changed the title to 'Keep Ryan Kent, but Rangers would be CRAZY to even consider a new contract for Alfredo Morelos', says Kris Boyd

The basic point of not entertaining the idea of extending his contract is certainly the way I think.

Couldn't understand why we seem to still be trying to get him to stay. 

He has always had a downside but where before, the upside was good enough to endure the negative....now the balance has gone the other way.

He could have been a real player but he is just not wired the way. Like many before him, I don't think he will fully realise what he is fcuking up until he is retired.

On his game, Alfie is unplayable. If he had not been injured last season, we may have won the EL. He is our all-time top scorer in Europe.  However, he can implode, he can look disinterested and he can look unfit. 

I'm  50/50 on Alfie - if Beale and his team to get Alfie back fit (and interested) he's an asset and it will be difficult to replace him.

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

For me, Kent's time is up.  He just doesn't do enough. 

If Morelos can sort out his attitude and wants to stay, I'd keep him.

I think Kent is in the same boat as Alfie. If Beale and his team can get Kent back to his best, he is someone I'd have my team every week. 

He looked at his best during 55 under SG when we played a fluid front three - the early signs are Beale will adopt the same style so I'd hope Kent will flourish in that system 

6 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

It'll be interesting to see how the pair of them perform in the next few weeks.

Moreles looked more interested with the ball (not difficult given how bad he was in November) but like he has actually put more weight on since the break. Looked the part for coming on for a Sunday League match.

Edited by buster.