Ally McCoist - future Rangers manager?

It's possible that he'll become the next Rangers manager when WS steps down. What's your opinions on him, playing career aside? Has he got the tactical knowledge to be a successful manager? Personally, the jury is still out for me. There's no doubting he brings character to the dressing room but is that enough to bring success to a team?

He's got the ideal mentor to learn off. WS is a very successful manager and which can only benefit McCoist in the long-term but would it be better if McCoist goes it alone at another club as manager before he steps into the Rangers hot seat?

Opinions please.

Personally, the jury is still out for me. There's no doubting he brings character to the dressing room but is that enough to bring success to a team?

Thats the nail on the head - Jury out!

He only coached the Scotland team with Walter and Tommy "Scotland Football Club" Burns so even jumping into the assistant managers role was a big move for Coisty.

I bet the bald guy Kenny does quite a bit that goes unnoticed.

He will definatly bring the fight to the team and will get respect. His tactical awareness will be judged when the time comes round.

In a word - NO

I just don't think Ally has what it takes to become a manager. To much of a gamble replacing WS with Ally without Ally going somewhere else for experience.

Wouldn't be against him staying as part of a management team like his current role, but not as manager for me.

Cammy F

IMO we are at a stage of stablization and don't think that we can 'gamble' that on an untried manager when WS steps down - it would put us back to years IMO.

A Laudrup 'double-act' could be an option.

Cammy F

I reckon he could be a good manager for us in time. He would be a risk no doubt, but who isnt a risk these days. I wasnt convinced about him taking over when he first came back but he defo has grown on me and lets be honest it could be many years before this could happen and he will have learned a lot from Walter in that time.

Not yet.... way into the future, like 5 or 10 years.

I love Ally to bits and he's always entertaining but he just doesnt have enough experience under his belt to take on such a task in the next 2 or 3 years.

Also depends on out next chairman who manages after WS. It'll be 'watch this space' (and try not to shit yourself) time when that happens with regards to the management/players/funding.

I think it depends on how long Walter stays. He already looks like he could eclipse his first stint at manager and if he can continue like this and keep building the squad to compete in the league and Europe I can see him becoming a modern dynastic manager of the type we started out with.

He could do a Sir Alex Ferguson and just keep on going.

I think we need a period of stability after three relatively short managerial tenures and Smith is the man to provide that.

Not everyone will I agree, but I think he epitomizes most of the characteristics that we look for in a Rangers manager; while coincidentally, Strachan seems to be acting out the Celtic stereotype.

If he can sustain the type of results we're getting and win at least every second title then I'd like him to stay for a decade or more. Then we can look at how McCoist has developed as a coach. I'm sure he has one of the best mentors around.

He is not ready yet by a long while and to be honest i would rather he managed a smaller club first. If he remains as assistant for another 5 or 6 years then we may be able to take a chance on him, but i feel he is a bit too much of a clown(in the best sense) to be taken fully seriously. i have never seen him coaching on a daily basis and Walter does and he seems to trust him, and will have a big say on that decision i would imagine.

It's a difficult one but all signs point more in the no direction for me.

We don't know currently how much he has a say in the team selection etc. It could be 100% WS, then again WS may take alot of what ally says into action consideration.