[FT] Rangers 2 (Tavernier 15' pen; Kamara 57') - 0 St Johnstone

Frustrating watching Rangers these day's you see the pass they should be making then they hit the ball back or square you see players standing as if waiting on a bus instead of moving creating space enticing the defender out of position 

Much of this season, IMHO, has been wrecked by injury and poor form from those on the park. The one thing that has happened since Beale is that we have won most of our games - even came close to beating the Scum. Yet, that was mainly - IMHO - down to us getting our defence in order and stopped conceding silly goals. We have not really scored more goals or set up any differently. Goldson found his steady form and Davies is a proper centre-half too. Neither are of the special variety though, and we have had enough scary moments to remind us of that.

The one thing that really changed our fortunes of late was - IMHO -  the introduction of Sakala on the right. For all the shortcomings attributed to him, he is a thorn in anyone's defence and has contributed to 9 (3 goals, 6 assists) of our 23 goals since Beale took over. He's keeping defenders busy and opens up spaces for others to run into. If only they would ...

We need to find a formula to get Hagi and Tillman running the show behind the two strikers. They provide the creative spark and will also try to shoot. Yesterday could have been a fine time to go "3"-5-2 with Lundstram/Jack (hence the "") being the DM in front of the two real centre-halfs, while two strikers and another attacking midfielder should have been put on. Yet, we put on like-for-like and stuck to our game plan. Let's see what the Hearts game brings, but for some reason I doubt that we will change much. Then again, Hearts are on a high and will want to play their own game, so the 2 DMs are a certainty.

Morelos is getting back to his fitness levels, yet, in front of goals he's somewhat rusty again. Colak has played but 64 mins under Beale, mainly down to injury, so might need some time to get back to sharpness. And if anything, it is time that we don't have.

Edited by der Berliner

3 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Morelos is getting back to his fitness levels, yet, in front of goals he's somewhat rusty again. 

Fitness levels for what ?

Walking Football

All the mobility of a one wheeled caravan.

Taxi

Just now, buster. said:

Fitness levels for what ?

Walking Football

All the mobility of a one wheeled caravan.

Taxi

Truth be told, he never looked as fit as Colak or most of our other strikers. But he knew - once - where the goal stood and was able to hit it from various angles and positions. These days, he's lost quite a bit of that and thus the rest of his differences to e.g. Colak come to the fore. Maybe we can melt him and Kent into one guy ...

But yes, we do need some solid striker who outlasts a season. I doubt it will be Nisbet or Shankland, as both Edinburgh clubs will want silly money.

Happy enough with the 3 points but that was yet another god-awful watch. I blame myself partly as after 25 minutes I remarked that this was probably the best start we have made to a game under MB and it could be a big turnaround and a big score, and from almost that moment on it fell away and was turgid.

Jack was extremely stupid, and very lucky, and had to be taken off as he wouldnt have got away with another tackle. I thought the penalty was harsh as it hit him from no distance at all from where I was (admittedly at the other end of the ground so wasnt a great view of it). I thought Collum was off his meds with the 3 big decisions in the game as it is definitely not like him to give that penalty and not red card Jack after being forced by VAR to red card an opponent he wasn't even going to book just a minute or so earlier.

Cantwell had a decent id f unspectacular debut. He looked very similar to Lowry to me, same sort of style and vision. It seems to be a position we are well off for. MB in his programme notes clearly agrees and says he now has SEVEN players for that position. He says "Todd is someone who connects the midfield and the forwards, similar to Kent, Hagi, Tillman, Lawrence, Wright and Lowry. We have a number of these players who can receive the ball and can create chances and score goals." I suppose in this system he plays usually three or sometimes two of these players so having a bit of choice is desirable.

That is now 10 games under MB and we havent lost any, winning 9 out of 10 (should have been 10!) but still most fans leaving the game yesterday were mumbling about how poor the football on show is. An absolutely massive test coming up on Wednesday against a Hearts team who are flying and when they are flying they are a very hard side to beat at Tynecastle. We have won every away game under MB to date, so hopefully this continues this week. I dont care about the performance on Wednesday, if we can somehow get the 3 points I will be absolutely delighted.

I'm just expecting a VAR 'controversy' after any match we win now.

Even when an ex professional referee states, on TV, that they agree with the decisions, the yahoos and their press goons are all over it for days.

Life must be so tiresome for them, when they still feel vicTimised despite being 9 points clear and having won the vast majority of trophies in the last decade.