[FT] Rangers 1 (Morelos 64) - 2 Celtic

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

Another aspect that takes the focus of the board was that whilst mostly failing domestically, SG reestablished our European credibility and generated some much needed finances. This lay the platform for last season amazing run to EL final.  

Why not give the board credit for the European success?

The board brought Gerrard, backed him and persevered with him.

2 hours ago, buster. said:

We approach another significant squad overhaul with relatively little in the way of money to spend and few players that can realise significant incoming fees.

This isn't true though.

We have a bunch of high earners that finish contracts in the summer. That will free up a lot of wages.

2 hours ago, buster. said:

The silver bullet of the player trading model giving constant returns is still a way off, despite a healthy return during 2022

The board explains itself now and again.

When discussing revenue it always describes player trading as one of a number of streams required for success.

The very opposite of a silver bullet.

3 hours ago, CammyF said:

There needs to be investment and it needs to be soon - but I fear Park and Robertson are asleep at the wheel (as they have been for some years).

I want to disagree to some extent. I don't believe they are asleep at the wheel. I think there are only two realistic possibilities....

1. The board does not know how to push on from 55 and is floundering for a solution.

2. The boards does have a coherent plan for success but it's based entirely on sound finances that will takes several years to establish and is limiting the pace at which we progress.

Personally, while I sometimes move between which of these options I chose to believe, I prefer to think the latter is true. We have owners who are painfully aware how close the club came to oblivion and are determined those risks will never be taken again. Some might call that chickenshit but perhaps time will prove otherwise. In any case, you pays your money and you takes your choice ... they stepped up when desperately needed and have bought the right to chose the business plan. This was always going to be a long game.

Who knows what Kamara and Lundstram are doing here? Answers on a postcard please. And watch Tillman dancing around being as effective as wet toilet paper.

Edited by Bill

Apparently our summer signings have been unavailable for 43% of all our games this year. It makes sense, but I feel like we've been living with this injury situation for 20 years or longer now and it's only got worse over time. There has to be something fundamentally wrong at the club, surely? 

16 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

we've been living with this injury situation for 20 years or longer

That strikes a chord, PB. Other clubs may have the same problems that I don’t know about because I’m not interested.

The mighty Rangers teams of my younger days seemed to go through seasons using about fourteen or so players. No squad as such. Just the recognised first team and the recognised stand-ins.