Septimana Horribilis - A Week of Failure

1 hour ago, PoohBear said:

It's not the same as what Gio said. Gio said we can't compete, Beale is saying we have to compete. It's not the same.

It's substantially the same thing. He's offering a negative assessment of his situation when we don't need to hear how difficult his job is, what we need to hear is what he intends to do about it, how he plans to be successful. Or at the very least we need to have reason to believe he has such a plan. If he has doubts about his ability to succeed in the job because of finances or whatever then he needs to say so and quit because there's little point being here if he can't show us he can win trophies. This club has made a habit of falling at the final hurdle and there is no one on Earth who should have a better insight into the reasons why than Mick Beale, knowledge that he had in his pocket when he asked for and took the job.

A week ago I'd have been a lot less critical but then this manager showed us his plan to win the league cup and I haven't yet heard him tell us how he got it so badly wrong and what he would do differently if he had to play that game over again. Almost everything I hoped to see from Beale pretty much evaporated in the ridiculous team selection and his willingness to persevere with it after half time. This isn't just frustration at losing a cup final, it's despair at realising nothing fundamental has changed since van Bronckhorst failed ... and the present manager doesn't seem to have faith in his ability to induce the necessary changes.

5 hours ago, Bill said:

I have been going on about poor squad management for about a year (since we knew Souttar was coming on a Bosman).

The underlying elephant in the room is Financial.

Thing is, we haven't done too badly. The tendency is numbers that are improving but what it always comes down to is the comparison with accross the city......and we are way behind.

I look at Aberdeen and a support that seems to expect the latest new manager to deliver trophies and attractive football (not happenibng anytime soon). If we think we are about to get back on top of Scottish football then it is a similar relative level of delusion. Reality in the forseeable is something akin to the early to mid 1980's.

24 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

I must admit I already have doubts about our two January signings Cantwell & Raskin

I don't think I've seen enough of either to judge them just yet.  I would like to see the get a run in the team.

Edited by Blue Moon

6 hours ago, Bill said:

I've not seen such unanimity amongst the fans for a long time. Almost to a man they are unhappy with the lack of progress at the club. I was reading on Twitter that there will be a verbal protest 5 minutes into the game today about Ross Wilson. Others will be more circumspect about  our situation but this is about to get messy I think.

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

I must admit I already have doubts about our two January signings Cantwell & Raskin

Ffs....both are upgrades to what we will hopefully be offloading come end of the season with Raskin already showing he will be a class act.

Cantwell and Raskin are certainly improvements but the goal is a better team and one or two additions won’t do it. Even in our leanest periods we have had some good players, some of whom went on to win several trophies, but we’re just nowhere near having the critical mass of real talent required for success on the domestic stage. Worse still, we seem to be building around a rotten core and continually made signing choices that beggar belief.