The Wenger Stat

Very interesting. I’d like it to be right.

An old guy told me that old guys had told him that Jimmy Gordon of the Rangers would never be bettered as a player. Certainly sounds like a handy lad to have about.

As for the immaculate Eric Caldow - what would he be worth now?

47 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Not sure if any of you heard the remarkable Arsene Wenger stat from the weekend. Apparently Arsenal's Saturday starting 11 was the first time since 1986 that a player who didn't feature in an Arsene Wenger managed Arsenal side didn't start. So 37 years give or take a few months. 

As you do I started to think of a Rangers equivalent. Best I've come up with is 59 years although I can't say a player started every match in that period. So here's my workings - Jimmy Gordon joined Rangers in 1907, played 315 times (won 10 Scotland caps) and left the club in 1920, the year Bill Struth became manager. Struth took over in May of 1920. I don't know what month Gordon left though. 

Fast forward to Eric Caldow. Caldow was signed by Struth in 1952 and played for Rangers until March 1966. An unbroken 59 year connection with Bill Struth (I think). 

Happy for someone to correct or improve this. 

BTW Reading about Jimmy Gordon he apparently played upfront, in midfield, in defence and in goal for the Rangers first during his career. Love that. 

Great work. Whether or not it ultimately proves to be wholly accurate, it's a stat I'll be carrying with me from now on.

Interesting stat. Not sure anyone in modern day football has that kind of longevity at the top level game. Even the likes of Messi and Busquets who would possible have had a similar unbroken connection with Xavi who is now the manager there and could be for a good few years. But still pales in comparison to the Struth/Caldow example you have posted.

In terms of our current squad Alan McGregor must be around 20 odd years of being involved with the 1st team. Obviously there was the few years away in-between but had that rubbish not have happened I doubt he would have left.

3 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Not sure if any of you heard the remarkable Arsene Wenger stat from the weekend. Apparently Arsenal's Saturday starting 11 was the first time since 1986 that a player who didn't feature in an Arsene Wenger managed Arsenal side didn't start. So 37 years give or take a few months. 

As you do I started to think of a Rangers equivalent. Best I've come up with is 59 years although I can't say a player started every match in that period. So here's my workings - Jimmy Gordon joined Rangers in 1907, played 315 times (won 10 Scotland caps) and left the club in 1920, the year Bill Struth became manager. Struth took over in May of 1920. I don't know what month Gordon left though. 

Fast forward to Eric Caldow. Caldow was signed by Struth in 1952 and played for Rangers until March 1966. An unbroken 59 year connection with Bill Struth (I think). 

Happy for someone to correct or improve this. 

BTW Reading about Jimmy Gordon he apparently played upfront, in midfield, in defence and in goal for the Rangers first during his career. Love that. 

Sounds like one of those strange questions you hear on only connect 

Davie Cooper signed in 1977 and played under Souness while Walter Smith was his assistant. Barry Ferguson signed pro at Rangers in 1997 and played under Smith, he left Rangers (second time around) in July 2009, so  a span of 32 years. Allan McGregor signed for Rangers a month after Smith left however he did play for him second time around, so if we include that then that's a span of nearly 46 years and counting. 

Derek Johnstone signed for Rangers in 1970 and left in 1986 (for the second time), being released by Souness and Walter Smith. He didn't play under them though. 

10 hours ago, JohnMc said:

- Jimmy Gordon joined Rangers in 1907, played 315 times (won 10 Scotland caps) and left the club in 1920, the year Bill Struth became manager. Struth took over in May of 1920. I don't know what month Gordon left though. 

Gordon's testimonial match v an International ix was end of season 19/20 wilton was gaffer. 

I don't know if he played under struth in 20/21 though,  but in that era many players did play on after benefit games.

33 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

calling it 86 is a bit shit tbh

A stat is a stat.  

In modern terms, I'm sure Alex Ferguson can boast something better at Man Utd.  He inherited players like Whiteside in '86 and De Gea is still playing for them, which would make a similar stat 40 years +.