The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

5 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

Well, honestly the proper move would have been to sell Tav and keep Patterson. The player reading model seems to have gone out the window.

Tavs bumper contract extension during the europa cup run indicated to me we were expecting a bid and were trying to maximise his value.

56 minutes ago, craig said:

Mate, you may need to go back to last season to see the chronology of what happened.

Goldson hadn't signed a contract and it was expiring.  Souttar was signed in January, when Goldson wasn't signing.  I suspect the club brought Souttar in on the expectation that Goldson wouldnt sign a new contract (Goldson himself said that he decided very late to sign a new contract).

It wasn't about the club WANTING to swap them, it was because they feared Goldson was leaving anyway.

I don't understand why they don't have a time limit on the acceptance of new contracts.  For it to lie on the table for months is really unacceptable.  Leaves the club in a tricky situation as the window closes.  As an aside, I went on record at the time that I didn't want him to re-sign.

On 01/05/2023 at 06:54, PoohBear said:

The problem is that it’s a rarity as he’s absent through injury a lot.”

On 01/05/2023 at 06:54, PoohBear said:

Then when I said the rumour is that we’ve signed him: “bit gutting actually as he is one we want to keep”

simon cowell facepalm GIF

No offense here Pooh my man...but yer friend's a dipshit. 

26 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

There's no way we were ever getting anywhere near £12m for Tav.

He's been a good player, overall but he has his flaws, hence the lack of interest. 

Not saying we were, but the model we are trying to use is buy low, get use out of the player, sell on. That is not happening, in fact we are releasing players on a free.

3 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

Weird take on a close friend of mine.

Mal could have worded better, but your friend is saying Dowell's attitude stinks and he barely plays because of injury, and then he says he'd be gutted to see him go as he's one they want to keep.  

A little strange, no?

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

Mal could have worded better, but your friend is saying Dowell's attitude stinks and he barely plays because of injury, and then he says he'd be gutted to see him go as he's one they want to keep.  

A little strange, no?

I didn't take that, I read that he was at times crucial and their most important player that provides goals and assists, but he couldn't keep it up consistently due to injury.

13 hours ago, Bill said:

The more I reflect on this season, the less importance I attach to specific players or managers and the more apparent it seems that we simply still have a way to travel on our journey back to recovery.

The current playing squad is really just another iteration of the progression of players engaged by the club since the darkest days of 2012. It's still basically the squad that Gerrard assembled - some of the names have changed of course but not the calibre of player and many of them are played out, at the end of their shelf life and hence the wall we've hit in terms of progress.

The question for me is whether or not the club now has the means to move up another level, whether in terms of transfer resources or squad management and coaching, or both of course - and how big a step up we can realistically expect. I see no possibility of a better future without at least changing a great many players, some of which need to be at a whole new level of ability. It seems unlikely we can we do everything in one summer.

The team management has been a very rocky ride these last 12 years. Almost without exception we've mirrored the playing staff by engaging managers with little or no experience and been quick to release them as we moved up the recovery ladder - and that's still where we find ourselves today. Is Beale a genuine step up from Gerrard and GvB? How far can he take us?

The greatest surprises have been winning 55 and Seville. I still don't really understand how we did that but in any case, as we've seen only too clearly, they were only aberrations on an otherwise more gradual upslope of recovering football and financial performances.

I think what I take from this season is that we are still a distance (a few seasons?) away from where we would like to be - winning trophies with regularity and dominating OF results. With so many players out of contract, we have a real opportunity to take another step this summer but I wouldn't go expecting to move from here to the promised land in one leap.

Preach!

Nailed that one.

We had a blueprint, we had an ops plan, we had all of the schematics laid out. 

The project was, by many counts, ahead of schedule.

We achieved say, step 7 (league, Europe contention) of 10, and just pulled the plug. 

They just stopped. 

Why?

Weak leadership. 

This is why you need somebody who can strategically plan a way forward.

Stick to that plan, and DIRECT his staff to carry out the plan.

Do we have that now? 

I think we have a guy who knows how to sell the brand...but do we have a proper 'football guy' at the helm? 

I have found in professional life, everyone can get a say, but you need the one guy with the balls to say "no..zip yer yap..we are going here."

All this namby pamby leadership by committee BS is for communists and hippies.

You can bet your ass that is what's happenin too. 

I don't have to be there to see the signs.

"I don't know...do you know...what do you think?"

"Oh what does the coach want?" "Oh what are the papers sayin?" "Oh the UB's are protesting again." "what if they don't like me?" "What about that new house in Boca I just bought?"

Don't you kid yourself

We need a proper figurehead who is just gonna hit that ball extend button and get'r dun.

But what are we doin? Kieran F*&^%% Dowell.

I know I know it's just the start but I can already see where this train is headed to.

You can't dance to a skippin record. 

23 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

Weird take on a close friend of mine.

Once again, no offense but I mean come on now. 

Like a buddy of mine and his stupid Porsche.

Loves that car but he drives it for a month and then it's back in the shop.

I say "get you a stang, a vette" 

He says "no they dont have the balance"

The balance on what? The car lift at the shop?

Some folks love gettin their ass kicked.