The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

2 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

They have also brought through the best player of all time arguably and a whole host of generational talents often. Not sure you can compare that with a Gregor, Hutton and Charlie Adam.

They also, I don't believe, brought those players through when they were weak and uncompetitive.  Iniesta broke through when Guardiola and Xavi were playing and established, Messi broke through when Iniesta and Xavi were established, along with Puyol.

Point I am making is that bringing youngsters through is great but you can't do it when you are weak or don't have enough mental toughness and experience from others to help them through their first few games.  Look at Leon King... broke through, did well, had a rough patch (notably because Goldson wasnt there to walk him through game) and fans on his back.

3 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Was a really lazy signing imo.

we had Goldson, just signed Soutter, James Sands was someone the management had confidence at the time and our best young player is a centre back. If you are signing a CB last summer you go for a Bassey profile type player. 

I genuinely believe that Souttar was supposed to be a Goldson replacement - so Davies was brought in to play alongside him.  The only other left sided CB we had is Helander.

They may have had confidence in Sands but he wasnt a CD, let alone a left sided CB.  And no way were we hanging our hat on King - who also isnt a left sided CB - in fact, at various age groups he played RB, not CB (and debuted there too).

I don't think he was a lazy signing - of all the CB's you mention they ALL are right sided CB's.

11 minutes ago, craig said:

I genuinely believe that Souttar was supposed to be a Goldson replacement - so Davies was brought in to play alongside him.  The only other left sided CB we had is Helander.

They may have had confidence in Sands but he wasnt a CD, let alone a left sided CB.  And no way were we hanging our hat on King - who also isnt a left sided CB - in fact, at various age groups he played RB, not CB (and debuted there too).

I don't think he was a lazy signing - of all the CB's you mention they ALL are right sided CB's.

I’m not sure about this left sided cb obsession many of our supporters have. Didn’t hinder Cuellar or Bougherra in the slightest. Amoruso did ok but he was good with either foot to be fair.

Why I think it was a lazy signing - guy was carrying injuries and not ready for pre season. Not sure anyone had a char to him before signing to check he had the mentality to play for us like Beale did with Cantwell and Raskin. And finally his profile doesn’t fit a player trading model like ours in any way. We were paying peak value for him and peak wages to get him from one of the worlds top clubs.IIRC Goldson had already committed before we signed Davies so not sure we couldn’t have looked for a younger player to potentially partner him.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

17 minutes ago, craig said:

O Reilly for them came from League One and has done pretty well.  You can get absolute gems from lower leagues.  The Championship should have even better players, and them being a yo-yo club is almost irrelevant when talking from EPL to Champ.  We got Aribo from League One Charlton.

Crapping on a team because they yo-yo is pointless... plus, Norwirch almost always have the lowest budget of any EPL team when they are there - so yo-yo is pretty much expected. 

I appreciate their situation but thems the facts. Up and down with a low budget tend to attract midland players cause that's what they can afford.

Now, I can relate as Rangers are in the same boat.

However, every player we recruit needs to have two questions raised. Is he tough enough, and is he good enough to give the other team in Scotland a fight? If need be, if we need him to, can we see him hangin with them? Contributing? Scoring?

Would he be near the top of our league? Is he dependable? Can he stay healthy?

No.

No.

No.

41 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

I appreciate their situation but thems the facts. Up and down with a low budget tend to attract midland players cause that's what they can afford.

Now, I can relate as Rangers are in the same boat.

However, every player we recruit needs to have two questions raised. Is he tough enough, and is he good enough to give the other team in Scotland a fight? If need be, if we need him to, can we see him hangin with them? Contributing? Scoring?

Would he be near the top of our league? Is he dependable? Can he stay healthy?

No.

No.

No.

None of us can answer that definitively....

It’s all down to money we need defenders who can defend we need strikers who can strike and half backs that can create but we aren’t exactly heavy in the cash department so it’s probably a couple of buys and the rest picked up that are out of contract easier said than done.

1 hour ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I’m not sure about this left sided cb obsession many of our supporters have. Didn’t hinder Cuellar or Bougherra in the slightest. Amoruso did ok but he was good with either foot to be fair.

Why I think it was a lazy signing - guy was carrying injuries and not ready for pre season. Not sure anyone had a char to him before signing to check he had the mentality to play for us like Beale did with Cantwell and Raskin. And finally his profile doesn’t fit a player trading model like ours in any way. We were paying peak value for him and peak wages to get him from one of the worlds top clubs.IIRC Goldson had already committed before we signed Davies so not sure we couldn’t have looked for a younger player to potentially partner him.

Left sided doesnt mean left footed mate.  I can't remember the ones you mention but were they right sided (as opposed to right-footed) CB's ?

Being a right vs left sided CB can be markedly different - your body shape when receiving the ball, when tackling,the spaces you are closing down and even your distribution are different.  And it doesnt necessarily equate to being left or right footed.

Souttar is a right-footed, right-sided CB.  As is King, as is Goldson.

Van Dijk at Liverpool is a right-footed, left-sided CB.  Klopp doesnt ever play him on the right side of CB, with good reason.

6 minutes ago, compo said:

It’s all down to money we need defenders who can defend we need strikers who can strike and half backs that can create but we aren’t exactly heavy in the cash department so it’s probably a couple of buys and the rest picked up that are out of contract easier said than done.

I would contend that our biggest need in the summer is a goalscorer.  Morelos will be gone, Colak doesnt seem to fit our style (I would still keep him as he is a natural finisher) but we need a McCoist/Defoe type striker.

25 minutes ago, craig said:

I would contend that our biggest need in the summer is a goalscorer.  Morelos will be gone, Colak doesnt seem to fit our style (I would still keep him as he is a natural finisher) but we need a McCoist/Defoe type striker.

And they are a rare commodity