The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

We have blokes with coaching degrees and sports science certificates looking at potential signings, so it's always good to get the opinions of the man on the street too.  

Monty Python Wisdom GIF

15 hours ago, Uilleam said:

Claudio Reyna was pretty decent, although I don't think we signed him straight from the US. 

i always thought that the club failed to even try to capitalise commercially on having Captain (of) America on the park. 

Maybe the current pursuit of Americans, or American League players, relates to that: it will help us sell tops in Toledo, sweaters in Sweewater, kits in Kansas, bunnets in Boston (well, maybe not that one)......

To be clear, I'm not saying we shouldn't sign Americans, far from it. But Reyna joined us from the Bundesliga, Beasley from PSV Eindhoven and Bocanegra from Fulham. Tillman has shown enough this season to further demonstrate there are very good players with American passports. I'm just not convinced the MLS is a strong league and our previous purchases from it have underwhelmed. South Americans haven't done particularly well in Scotland either, I'm not sure the football here is a great fit for them before we take in the cultural and climatic challenges they'll face.

Now, having said all that I sincerely hope someone quotes this post to me in 12 months time after a storming first season for Cifuentes.

2 hours ago, JohnMc said:

But Reyna joined us from the Bundesliga, Beasley from PSV Eindhoven and Bocanegra from Fulham

Agree with your overall point but given where we are now as a club in terms of overall stature and finance in the footballing ecosystem we would be unlikely get a Reyna from Wolfsburg or a Bocanegra from Fulham, so we need to change tact and get them before the bigger league teams do.

Not a transfer as such, but we might see a former "unsung hero" back at Auchenhowie soonish ...

Stephen Wright frontrunner for Rangers academy director role with Ibrox talks set

Former Rangers player and Dundee head of youth Stephen Wright is the frontrunner to become the new academy director at Ibrox, according to The Courier.

https://www.ibroxnews.com/2023/05/19/stephen-wright-frontrunner-for-rangers-academy-director-role-with-ibrox-talks-set/

1 hour ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Agree with your overall point but given where we are now as a club in terms of overall stature and finance in the footballing ecosystem we would be unlikely get a Reyna from Wolfsburg or a Bocanegra from Fulham, so we need to change tact and get them before the bigger league teams do.

That's a fair point and I assume that's what we tried to do with Sands. I think we are able to attract players from mid table Bundesliga and lower EPL or Championship clubs depending on their circumstances. We're unlikely to sign Reyna's boy from Dortmund but as Tillman and Cantwell have shown we can shop at the next level down successfully.